Idli / Dosa for breakfast is a regular fare for us. Though Jose loves both Sambar and chutney with Idli/dosa, I don't make Sambar often.
Sometime ago I posted on insta about how sambar tends to overstay it's welcome. I got response from many of you sharing the same sentiments.
So to keep things exciting I try different chutney recipes. This is once such recipe. It's a very simple, easy and quick recipe. It's vibrant with flavors and color.
If you're looking for some exciting recipes for breakfast, please do give this a try, am sure you'll love it.
Btw, if you like different chutney recipes, check out the below recipes
Restaurant Style Coconut Chutney, Red Coconut Chutney, Tomato Chutney, Tomato Onion Chutney, Roasted Garlic Chutney
Recipe from here
- 1 medium – big Onion (finely sliced)
- 2 big Tomatoes (sliced)
- 1.5 tbsp Chana dal
- 2 Dry red chilies
- 1 tsp Chopped ginger
- 1 tsp Chilli powder
- 3-4 tbsp Coconut milk
- 1/2 tsp Mustard seeds
- 2 Dry red chillies
- A pinch of Asafoetida (kayam)
- Curry leaves
- Oil (I used coconut oil)
- Heat oil in a vessel. Once the oil is hot, reduce flame, add chana dal, red chilies and saute till the dal turns light brown. Remove the dal and red chilies from oil and keep aside to cool.
- In the same oil, add the onions and ginger and saute till transparent, approx 3-4 mts.
- Add the tomatoes and saute for 9-10 mts on low to medium flame.
- Add chilli powder, mix well and cook for 2-3 mins. Turn off heat and cool
- Blend the cooled ingredients (dals, chilies, tomatoes and onions) along with salt and coconut milk to a fine paste. Remove onto a serving bowl.
- Heat a tsp of oil in a small pan, add the mustard seeds and allow them to splutter. Add the curry leaves, red chilies and asafoetida and turn off heat.Pour this tempering over the chutney and serve with idli or dosa.
3 thoughts on “Chettinad Tomato Chutney”
Nice and easy recipe will make a good combination with idli and dosa thanks Maria for these simple and great recipeies
Hi Maria, you have used chana dal but it doesn’t figure in the ingredients. Just wanted to know the quantity.
Thanks for pointing it out, I’ve updated the recipe :)