Sometimes, some recipes come to you quite unexpectedly. This Restaurant Style Chicken Handi is one such recipe!
I was looking for some Indoor plant ideas on Pinterest but I ended up on this recipe page and this happened! From indoor plants to chicken, quite a deviation, but no complaints.
This chicken handi recipe is quite different from what I make regularly at home. If you are looking for a North Indian Style chicken dish, then I strongly recommend you to try this. This chicken handi is made in a yogurt and cream base, which is mildly spicy but rich in flavor. It's easy to make and the ingredients are easily available as well.
The gravy is rich compared to the regular chicken recipes and it goes well with roti and rice. We had it with jeera rice. You can also have it with ghee rice, veg pulao, green peas pulao etc;
Do give it a try and let me know what you think.
Here is the recipe
Recipe adapted from here
Restaurant Style Chicken Handi
- 500 gms Chicken, cut into medium size pieces (measured after cleaning, refer notes)
- 1/2 tsp Cumin seeds
- 1 medium Onion (finely chopped)
- 1 tbsp. Ginger garlic (crushed)
- 2 medium Tomatoes (chopped)
- 1/2 cup Water
- 1/2 cup Plain yogurt, whisked smoothly (@ room temp)
- 1/2 tsp. Turmeric powder
- 1/4 tsp. Cumin powder
- 1/2 tsp Fennel powder
- 1.5-2 tsp. Coriander powder
- 3 tsp. Kashmiri chilli powder
- 2-3 slit Green chillies
- 1/2 tsp. Garam masala powder
- 1 tbsp. Crushed Kasuri methi leaves (dry roasted for 1-2 mins)
- 8-10 Cashew nuts, soaked in hot water for 10 mins
- 1 tbsp Butter (I used unsalted)
- Handful of chopped coriander leaves
- Salt (to taste)
- 2-3 tbsp Oil (I used sunflower oil)
- 1/2 tsp Sugar
- Heat 2-3 tbsp oil in a wide pan.
- Add half a teaspoon of cumin seeds. Once the seeds start to crackle, add one chopped onion. Cook till it's golden brown in colour.
- Add crushed ginger garlic and cook for 2-3 mins or till the raw smell goes.
- Add two medium chopped tomatoes, salt and cook till tomatoes soften.
- Add smoothly whisked yogurt (@room temp) to the above and mix well.
- Add all the spice powders (turmeric, cumin, fennel, coriander & kashmiri chilli powder) except garam masala and kasuri methi.
- Mix everything well and let this gravy cook for approximately 5 minutes, so that the yogurt completely cooks through. Let it cook till oil starts appearing.
- Add cleaned chicken pieces and green chilli. Stir well and cook the chicken pieces on medium flame for 3-4 mins till the color starts changing.
- Add half cup of water, bring it to boil. Reduce flame to lowest. Cover and cook till chicken is almost done.
- Once the chicken has cooked through, cook the gravy to the consistency that you like. This dish has a thick gravy consistency.
- Next add garam masala and dry roasted crushed kasuri methi leaves. Mix well.
- Grind the soaked cashew to a smooth paste. Add this along with butter to the curry and gently mix everything. Add half tsp of sugar, to balance the flavours. Cook on lowest flame for 2-3 mins. Remove from fire.
- Garnish with some coriander leaves and all done!