I may have told you many times before as well, Eggs are my “go-to” when I'm in doubt. It's something I stock up and it's like a no-fussy ingredient. You can add it into almost anything and it easily adapts to it. Be it a curry, sandwich, snack, dessert…
Egg Molly is a very much Kerala Style Egg Curry that goes well with Appam, Idiyappam, even Puttu. It's like a spicy stew, but the flavors are not overpowering. The main difference is instead of using boiled eggs, here we are going for ‘sunny side up” ;)
Hope you get to try this and like it too..
Here is the recipe…
- 4 Eggs
- 4-6 sliced Small/pearl onions
- 1 finely chopped Green chilli
- 1 sprig Curry leaves, chopped
- 2 medium – big Onion (chopped)
- 1/2 tsp, each Crushed ginger & garlic
- 2 Green chilli (slit legthwise)
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp Coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp Pepper powder
- 1 Medium tomato (diced)
- 1.5 cups Thick coconut milk
- Coconut oil
- Heat oil in a large and wide pan. Make eggs sunny side up style and sprinkle finely sliced small onion, 1 finely chopped green chilli and chopped curry leaves on top of the eggs. season with salt and pepper. Cook till the eggs are done, transfer to a plate.
- Heat more oil in the same pan and add chopped onions. Cook till it browns.
- Add crushed ginger & garlic and green chilli (2 slit lengthwise). Cook for 2-3 mins, till the raw smell goes.
- Add turmeric, coriander and pepper powders. Mix well. Cook for 2 mins and add 1 tbsp hot water.
- Add diced tomato and cook till it becomes soft. Add 2 tbsp hot water to bring the masala together.
- Add thick coconut milk and cook till the bubbles form around the edges.
- Reduce flame to lowest and cook for 5 mins. . Remove from fire and add cooked eggs.