I may have told you many times before as well, Eggs are my “go-to” when I'm in doubt. It's something I stock up and it's like a no-fussy ingredient. You can add it into almost anything and it easily adapts to it. Be it a curry, sandwich, snack, dessert…
Egg Molly is a very much Kerala Style Egg Curry that goes well with Appam, Idiyappam, even Puttu. It's like a spicy stew, but the flavors are not overpowering. The main difference is instead of using boiled eggs, here we are going for ‘sunny side up” ;)
Hope you get to try this and like it too..
Here is the recipe…
- 4 Eggs
- 4-6 sliced Small/pearl onions
- 1 finely chopped Green chilli
- 1 sprig Curry leaves, chopped
- 2 medium – big Onion (chopped)
- 1/2 tsp, each Crushed ginger & garlic
- 2 Green chilli (slit legthwise)
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp Coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp Pepper powder
- 1 Medium tomato (diced)
- 1.5 cups Thick coconut milk
- Coconut oil
- Heat oil in a large and wide pan. Make eggs sunny side up style and sprinkle finely sliced small onion, 1 finely chopped green chilli and chopped curry leaves on top of the eggs. season with salt and pepper. Cook till the eggs are done, transfer to a plate.
- Heat more oil in the same pan and add chopped onions. Cook till it browns.
- Add crushed ginger & garlic and green chilli (2 slit lengthwise). Cook for 2-3 mins, till the raw smell goes.
- Add turmeric, coriander and pepper powders. Mix well. Cook for 2 mins and add 1 tbsp hot water.
- Add diced tomato and cook till it becomes soft. Add 2 tbsp hot water to bring the masala together.
- Add thick coconut milk and cook till the bubbles form around the edges.
- Reduce flame to lowest and cook for 5 mins. . Remove from fire and add cooked eggs.
You can make the gravy in advance and store it in the refrigerator. It's better to do the egg preparation, just before serving. You can cook the egg according to your taste preferences – easy, over easy, medium done…
Tried this recipe? Let others know by…mentioning @mariasmenu or tagging #mariasmenu