I was all set to post a chammanthi recipe, like I promised here. But then with the celebration of Team India winning the Cricket World Cup happening all around the place, how can I just post a chammanthi recipe? So here’s a spicy beef fry recipe, to balance out all the sweet celebrations :)
I know you must be wondering why I’m posting a beef fry recipe again. I’ve already posted two beef fry/olathiyathu recipe. I dont want to sound like a marketing person saying this product is way different from the usual ones you have seen ;). But let me tell you, there is a DIFFERENCE, try for yourself & you’ll know what I’m talking about.
Also about the phrase “kallu shappu style” ….I’ve never been to a kallu shappu (toddy shop) or even the famous karimbinkala shappu family restaurant. Though kallu shappu is an unfamiliar territory to me, I’ve my connections to get the shappu recipe ;)
Do you remember Sarasa chechy, my amma’s assistant? I got this recipe from her. Her husband is a cook in a kallu shappu. Though Sarasa chechy refuses to admit that her husband has any influence on her cooking style, I believe this beef fry has shappu style written all over it. So those of you who have “shappu” experience please do try this and share your feedback. Hey,that doesn’t mean others cant try this…
So go ahead, try this shappu style beef fry & spice up your victory celebrations :)
Please find the picture of shappu beef fry made by Ramya Rajesh, based on the above recipe. Thanks a lot dear :)
Here you go…
- Beef – ½ kg, cleaned & cut into small-medium size cubes
- Small onion – 1 cup, crushed
- Ginger & garlic- 1½ tbsp, crushed
- Crushed red chilli – 1 – 1½ tbsp
- Coriander powder – 1½ – 2 tsp
- Turmeric powder – ¼ tsp
- Pepper powder – 1 tsp
- Garam Masala – 1- 1½ tsp
- Thengakothu (bite size coconut pieces) – ¾- 1 cup
- Vinegar – 2 tsp
- Coconut oil
- Curry leaves
- Marinate the cleaned beef pieces with the ingredients listed under marination (number 2 ingredients). Keep it aside for 15-20 mins. Add 2 tbsp of water to this & pressure cook till the beef is done(the cooking time of beef depends on the type of beef used). Keep the cooker closed for 20-25 mins. Open the cooker & if there is any excess water in the beef, cook till the water is dried completely.
- Heat oil in a heavy bottom pan & add tons of curry leaves. Fry it for few seconds. Add the cooked beef. Give it a good stir. Cook on low flame till the beef becomes black in colour. If the beef appears to dry in between, add a little oil & continue cooking. It will take around 10-15 mins. Dont forget to give a stir in between. That’s all …the shappu beef fry is ready!