Pic Courtesy: Shruthi Prajosh
A recipe that gives you the taste of northern Kerala. A perfect side dish with brown rice.
This above picture of Malabar Fish Curry, was sent by Shruthi, one of the reader’s of MariasMenu. I thought it was so good, that I decided to stick with this. She also added kudampuli (gamboge) for an extra kick :), Thank you so much Shruthi dear :)
- Fish - ¼ kg
- Turmeric powder - ½ teaspoon
- Scraped coconut - 1½ cups
- Green chilli - 3
- Ginger - 1 piece
- Chilli powder - 1½ teaspoon
- Tamarind - size of 1 lemon
- Small Onion - 4
- Mustard seeds - ½ teaspoon
- Coconut oil
- Curry leaves
- Grind together coconut & turmeric powder with enough water into a fine paste.
- Make a tamarind paste by adding water to it. Add green chilli, chilli powder, ginger & salt to tamarind paste & mix well.
- Add coconut paste to this. Mix well. Cook this paste & when it starts boiling add fish pieces. Cook till the fish pieces are done & gravy becomes thick.
- Heat oil in a pan & splutter mustard seeds. Add small onion & curry leaves. Stir till the onion becomes brown & pour this over the fish curry.