It’s been some time since I posted an egg recipe here. I’m kinda surprised this gap happened for an egg recipe. We eat eggs more or less on a daily basis. But it’s mostly in Omelet form like this Pasta omelette or Veg Omelette. Another frequent egg recipe is this egg roast.
However, I’ve been planning to make this Egg Stew for quite some time. Honestly, I was a bit skeptical about how it would turn out. The thing is… stew by itself is a very light dish with just a little spice. The flavour of the stew usually comes from the meat we use in the recipe.
Since there is no meat and we use hard boiled eggs which doesn't add any flavour to the curry, the entire flavour quotient depended on the spices and coconut milk.
Surprisingly, it did come out well! If you like side dishes which are light and not too spicy, this is a good bet. It goes well with plain rice, appam, puttu, idiyappam, neer dosa, chapathi and not to forget good old white sliced bread ;)
Bread / dinner rolls paired with this light and flavour packed stew is a great first course for a dinner or lunch menu.
I do hope you give this recipe a try and like it too.
Here is the recipe…
- 5 Hard Boiled Eggs (sliced)
- 4 Cardamom
- 4 Cloves
- 1 Big piece Cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp Whole black pepper
- 1/4 tsp Fennel seeds
- 1 Bayleaf
- 2 medium Onion (sliced)
- 1/2 tbsp each Crushed ginger & garlic
- 2-3 Green chilli (slit lengthwise)
- Half of 1 small Carrot (cubed)
- Half of 1 small Potato (cubed)
- 1/4 cup green peas (I used frozen)
- 1 3/4 cup Medium thick coconut milk
- 1 cup Thick coconut milk
- 5-6 Cashew nuts
- 5-6 Small / Pearl onion (sliced)
- Curry leaves
- Coconut oil (1-2 tbsp)
- Crush together cardamom, cinnamon, cloves, whole black pepper and fennel seeds.
- Heat oil in a wide and deep pan. Add crushed spices and bay leaf. Fry for a min. Add sliced onion and cook till it becomes light brown.
- Add crushed ginger garlic and green chilli. Cook for 2-3 mins, till the raw smell goes.
- Add cubed potato and carrot and green peas. Mix well.
- Add medium thick coconut milk. Bring it to boil. Reduce flame to lowest, cover and cook for 12-15 mins, till the veggies are done.
- Add boiled and sliced eggs and thick cocnut milk and gently mix. Continue to cook on low flame for 5-6 mins. Switch off the gas. Fry the sliced onion, curry leaves and cashew till it becomes golden brown and add to the stew.