Sometimes I get mails asking for a meal plan. Well, most of the time I myself have no idea about what I'm going to cook until I get into the kitchen and open my fridge and cupboards to see what's there ;)
I guess it's because we don't have a strict schedule to stick to, no school or office timings. Though it looks fun and it is most of the time, I do miss a certain discipline at times.
Anyhow this recipe happened on one such day. When I got into the kitchen all I could find was some tomatoes and potatoes. Since the temperatures are running very high, I don't feel like going shopping during daytime and by evening, I feel so lazy to get out of the house. That explains the meagre ingredients in the kitchen ;)
Anyways, it all worked out in the end, since we had this comforting meal of Tomato Rice and Potato Roast. Sometimes, having less to work with, can also be good, less options so less decisions to choose from. Less is more, right?
Now, coming to our recipe… this Indian Style Potato Roast is simple food at it's best. There is no chopping or slicing. Boiled potatoes roasted in some spices and ghee. Cook the potatoes to the right texture and you've a flavour packed side dish that goes well with plain rice or any variety rice.
This is something that you can whip up very easily, with just one ingredient basically. Hope you enjoy cooking this simple dish.
Here is the recipe…
- 2 small -medium potatoes (cubed)
- 1/2 tsp Jeera (cumin)
- 1- 1.5 tsp Chilli Powder
- 1.5 tsp Coriander powder
- 1/4 - 1/2 tsp Turmeric powder
- 1/4 tsp Cumin powder
- 1/4 tsp Fennel powder
- 1 tbsp Ghee / Oil (I used ghee)
- 1-2 tbsp Chopped Coriander leaves
- Boil the cubed potatoes with salt, till it becomes tender. Make sure, it still hold it's shape and doesn't become mushy.
- Heat ghee / oil in a wide pan and crackle the jeera seeds. Add chilli, coriander, turmeric, cumin and fennel powder. Fry for a min and add 1-2 tbsp water to bring together the masala.
- Add the cooked potatoes and gently mix well, till all the pieces are coated well with the masala. Add 1 tbsp water, if required. Continue to roast on low flame till the potatoes develop a small crust. Drizzle 1-2 tsp of ghee or oil.
- Add chopped coriander leaves and gently mix. Serve with rice or roti.