Here is the recipe…
- 250 gms Prawns (measured after cleaning)
To roast & grind
- 3/4 cup Grated Coconut
- 4 Small onion / Pearl onion (sliced)
- 1 tsp Ginger & garlic (each, finely chopped)
- 6 Curry leaves
For the Masala
- 2 med - big Onion (sliced finely)
- 2-3 Green chilli (slit lengthwise)
- 3/4 - 1 tbsp Crushed Ginger & garlic (each)
- 2 medium Tomato (sliced)
- 1.5 - 2 tsp Kashmiri chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric powder
- 1 cup Thin coconut milk / water
- Coconut oil
- Curry leaves
- Heat oil in a pan & roast the ingredients listed under 'to roast & grind'. Roast it till the coconut becomes dark brown colour. Make sure the coconut doesnt get burnt. Let it cool completely. Grind it into a smooth powder without adding any water. Keep it aside.
- Heat oil in a deep pan & add finely sliced onions. Cook till the onions turn brown. Add crushed ginger & garlic & green chilli. Cook for a few minutes. Add Kashmiri chilli powder & turmeric powder. Cook for a few mins till the raw smell goes. Add sliced tomatoes, salt & curry leaves. Cook till the tomatoes become soft & oil starts appearing. Add cleaned prawns & mix well. Add thin coconut milk/water & give a good mix. Cover and cook. Cook till the prawns is done & the gravy is almost dried. Add the ground roasted coconut & mix well. Remove from gas. Serve hot with rice/pulao/roti.
As I've mentioned in the write up, this is a crab recipe, so you can substitute prawns with crab. The original recipe uses water for cooking the crab. I used thin coconut milk for a richer coconut flavor.