Now the recipe:
Recipe adapted from Cookies & Biscuits by The Australian Women’s Weekly
- 3 cups Self - raising flour (450 gm)
- 125 gms Butter (1/2 cup, refer notes)
- 1/4 cup Milk (60ml)
- 2/3 cup Caster sugar (110 gm)
- 1 tsp Vanilla essence
- 2 Eggs (room temp)
- Silver edible glitter - to decorate (optional)
- Lemon Icing
- 3 cups Icing sugar (480 gm)
- 2 tbsp Lemon juice (approx)
- Preheat oven to 180 C/350 F, 10 mins before baking. Sift flour into medium bowl, rub in butter. Combine milk & sugar in small saucepan, stir over low heat until sugar is dissolved, add extract; cool 5 -10 mins. Stir combined warm milk mixture and egg into flour mixture. Knead dough on floured surface until smooth.
- Roll rounded teaspoons of dough into 13 cm rope. Twist two ropes together, form into circles; press edges together. Place about 3cm apart on oven trays. Bake about 15 mins. Cool on wire racks. When the cookies are completely cooled drizzle the lemon icing on the cookies.
- Lemon Icing
- Sift icing sugar into a heat proof bowl; stir in enough juice to make a firm paste. Stir over small saucepan of simmering water until pourable.
Notes: If you haven't made cookie of this shape before, I suggest you watching this video. It will give you an idea about shaping the cookie. I kept the butter at the room temperature for 20-25 mins. My cookie was ready in 10-12 mins. So keep an eye on cookie after 10 mins. If you dont like lemon flavor, you can substitute it with vanilla or any flavor of your choice. Instead of drizzling, I brushed the icing on the cookie with a pastry brush. Substitution for self raising flour – to get 1 cup self-raising flour, add 1 1/2 tsp baking powder+ 1/4 tsp salt to 1 cup all purpose flour.