I make a conscious effort to have a gap between baking posts. However, I thought, I’ll skip that and post this cake recipe now.
With all the news about Corona Virus / Covid19 making rounds, I find myself at home baking more and more. I always found baking to be relaxing, a big stressbuster and especially now, I find it very comforting too! Besides its a big break from all the negative news, we’re being hit by.
I hope you all are taking good care of yourselves and if you are at home with the family and looking for things to do together, here’s a good recipe to try.
Like all my baking recipes, this too is a simple and easy one and it’s absolutely a crowd pleaser! I don’t know what it is about Lemon Cakes that make people go gaga for it, but I’ve always seen it work its magic with adults and kids alike.
This cake will definitely cheer you up with its citric zing, refreshing taste, and melt-in-mouth-feel. Do try it and let me know what you think, ok?
Btw, I had a Starbucks Lemon Loaf for the first time in 2012, during my first visit to the US. I still remember very clearly eating that slice with a goofy grin on my face. Well, cake always makes me happy and if it’s really good, my face spots a goofy grin ;)
This cake comes pretty close to that except for the icing. The original cake has a thick glaze, whereas mine has a very thin glaze.
Stay safe and take care.
Here is the recipe…
Recipe from here
- 1/2 cup Unsalted butter (softened)
- 1 cup Sugar
- 1/3 cup Sour cream (refer notes for substitute)
- 2 tsp Vanilla extract
- 1 tsp Lemon extract (I didnt use it)
- 2 large Eggs (room temp)
- 2 tbsp Lemon zest
- 1 tbsp Lemon juice (refer notes)
- 1.5 cups Plain flour
- 1/4 tsp Bicarbonate of soda
- 1/2 tsp Baking powder
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 cup Icing sugar
- 1 tbsp Milk
- 1 tbsp Lemon juice
- 1 tbsp Lemon extract (I didnt use it)
- Pinch of salt (optional, I didnt add)
- Preheat oven to 180 C, 10 mins before baking.
- In the bowl of a mixer, combine butter and sugar and beat well to combine (mixture will be fairly dry).
- Add in eggs and beat until well combined.
- Add sour cream, vanilla and lemon extracts, lemon zest and lemon juice and beat until well combined.
- In a separate bowl combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and mix on low until combined, but do not over mix.
- Pour batter into a greased and lined 9×5 loaf pan. Bake for approximately 45 minutes or until a cake tester inserted into the center of the loaf comes out clean. If loaf does not see done at 45 minutes but is browning, foil can be placed loosely over the top to allow more baking time without additional browning. Remove from oven and allow to cool.
- Combine icing ingredients in a bowl and mix until combined. If a thicker icing is desired, add more powdered sugar, one tablespoon at a time. If a thinner icing is desired, add more milk, one teaspoon at a time. Remove loaf from pan (it helps to run a knife around the edges first to make sure the loaf isn't sticking to the pan) and pour or spoon glaze over the top. Allow icing to set up for 20+ minutes, then slice and serve.