One of my all time fav cake recipes. This is my go to recipe for Lemon cake. If you like lemony taste, you will definitely love this cake.
The buttery, soft and moist sponge is perfectly complemented by the lemon syrup, which soaks into the cake giving it a gooeyness which is even better the next day!
Here is the recipe…
- 125 gms Butter
- 175 gms Caster Sugar
- 2 large Eggs
- 175 gms Self-raising flour
- 50 gms Granulated Sugar
- 2 Lemons
- Preheat the oven to 180 degree, 10 minutes before baking. Lightly oil and line the base of an 18 cm/7 inch square cake tin with baking paper. In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugar together until soft and fluffy.
- Beat the eggs, then gradually add a little of the egg to the creamed mixture, adding 1 tablespoon of flour after each addition.
- Finely grate the rind from one of the lemons and stir into the creamed mixture, beating well until smooth.
- Squeeze the juice from the lemon, strain, then stir into the mixture.
- Spoon into the prepared tin, level the surface and bake in the preheated oven for 25-30 minutes.
- Mix the zest of the last lemon with 25 gm of the granulated sugar and reserve.
- Squeeze the juice of that lemon into a saucepan. Add the rest of the granulated sugar to the lemon juice and heat gently, stirring occasionally. When the sugar has dissolved simmer gently for 3-4 minutes until syrupy.
- With a fine skewer prick the cake all over. Sprinkle the lemon zest and sugar over the top of the cake, drizzle over the syrup and leave to cool in the tin. Cut the cake into squares and serve.
Please see the Lemon Drizzle Cake made by Josphine, based on the above recipe. Thank you Josphine :)