Here is the recipe of the cake that convinced me apples are tasty :)
Recipe source: Everyday cookery,baking series
For the topping
- 350 gms Eating apples (12 oz peeled )
- 1 tbsp Lemon juice
- 125 gms Self-raising flour (4 oz)
- 1 tsp Ground cinnamon
- 75 gms Butter (3 oz)
- 75 gms Demerara sugar (3 oz)
- 1 tbsp Milk
For the base
- 125 gms Butter (4 oz)
- 125 gms Caster sugar (4 oz )
- 2 Medium eggs
- 150 gms Self- raising flour (5 oz)
- Preheat the oven to 180 degree/350F, 10 minutes before baking. Lightly oil and line the base of a 20.5cm/8inch deep round cake tin with baking paper.
- Finely chop the apples and mix with the lemon juice. Reserve while making the cake. For the crumbling topping, sift the flour and cinnamon together into a large bowl. Rub the butter into the flour and cinnamon until the mixture resembles coarse breadcrumbs. Stir the sugar into the butter and flour mixture and reserve.
- For the base,cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Gradually beat the eggs in a little at a time until all the egg has been added. Sift the flour and gently fold in with a metal spoon or rubber spatula. Spoon into the base of the prepared cake tin. Arrange the apple pieces on the top, then lightly stir the milk into the crumble mixture. Scatter the crumble mixture over the apples and bake in the preheated oven for 1 1/2 hours. Serve cold with Vanila icecream or custrad.