For the past several years, I’ve been posting a Christmas special cake, which is not the traditional fruit cake. Usually, it takes me a long time to figure out that “special” recipe.
Not this year, though. I knew I was going to try a Sticky Toffee Dates Cake this year. Sticky Toffee Dates Cake is a traditional British dessert which has a Dates cake with caramel sauce. Most of my searches for sticky cake lead me to cakes with sauces except one.
The thing is, the picture of the cake in the original recipe got me hooked. If you check it out, it’s nothing fancy actually it’s just the opposite of fancy, just plain and simple, straight to the point. It shows the texture of the cake and I just loved it.
One of our friends gave us some really good dates a few months ago and I was saving them for this cake. Since the dates were really good, I was hoping this recipe works out for me. You see, I didn’t want to go my precious dates to waste.
I’m really happy that I saved those dates for this cake. The cake was really good, if I say so myself. We loved everything about it. The texture, the flavour, the taste, the toffee dates bit… So, if you are planning to bake only one cake for Christmas, I strongly recommend you to bake this one. Make sure you use the best quality dates, since the texture and taste depends on the dates you use.
Well, if you are not fond of dates, check out this Christmas Cake roundup to see some other great cake recipes. Also, if you are looking for a typical Sticky Dates cake with sauce, check out this Self – Saucing Dates Cake recipe, it’s eggless too. Also, it’s one of my fav dessert recipe.
Here is the recipe…
Add instant coffee powder to boiling water and mix well. Pour the coffee over three-quarters of the dates. Leave to soak for 30 minutes…
Blend together the butter , sugar and the soaked dates ( including the soaking water) using an electric beater…
Add the beaten eggs and mix well…
stir in the self raising flour and bicarbonate of soda…
Finally stir in the remaining dates…
Pour into a 9 inch lined cake tin. Bake for 40 minutes until firm to the touch…
Please read the “notes” section before proceeding with the recipe.
Sticky Toffee Date CakePrint
- 200 gms Dried dates seeds removed
- 275 ml Boiling water
- 1.5-2 tsp Instant coffee powder refer notes
- 1 tsp Bicarbonate of soda
- 175 gms Soft light brown sugar
- 150 gms Butter softened (I used unsalted)
- 3 Eggs beaten
- 175 gms Self raising flour refer notes for substitution
- Preheat the oven to 175 C, 10 mins before baking.
- Add instant coffee powder to boiling water and mix well.
- Pour the coffee over three-quarters of the dates. Leave to soak for 30 minutes
- Blend together the butter , sugar and the soaked dates ( including the soaking water) using an electric beater.
- Add the beaten eggs and stir in the self raising flour and bicarbonate of soda. Finally stir in the remaining dates.
- Pour into a 9 inch lined cake tin. Bake for 40 minutes until firm to the touch. Allow to cool , slice and serve.
To convert from grams to cups, check out here
The original recipe doesn’t use coffee, I used it to have more intense flavour and colour. If you don’t like coffee, just use boiling water to soak dates.
Make sure you use best quality dates to bake this cake.
Substitution for Self – Raising Flour – to get 1 cup self raising flour, add 1.5 tsp baking powder + .25 tsp slat to 1 cup plain flour.
I got a 8 inch square cake and a mini loaf from the above qty. Also, if you want, you can add chopped walnuts or cashew nuts along with the unsoaked dates.