Every year for Christmas, I try to post a cake recipe that is an alternate for traditional Christmas Fruit Cake. I’ve come across many people (including Jose) who aren’t a big fan of raisins. So this cake recipe is for all those people :)
Dates is something I love and have on a regular basis. I love it’s caramel toffee kinda flavor. Adding dates to the cake makes it moist and rich. I’ve already posted some other dates cake recipes, but this one is different.
This is almost like a fruit cake but without raisins. It has dates, carrots, orange, nuts and some spices. It’s very apt for the season. The dates and carrots make the cake moist and rich with a subtle orange flavor laced with a hint of cardamom and cinnamon.
I do hope you’ll enjoy this wonderful cake. Btw, if you’re looking recipes for holiday baking, here are some of my fav ones…
- 1.5 cups Plain Flour (maida)
- 1/2 tsp Baking soda
- 1 inch piece Cinnamon
- 6 Cloves
- 6 Cardamom
- 1/2 tsp Grated nutmeg
- 1/2 cup Semolina (rava)
- 2 cups Chopped dates (measured after chopping)
- 1/2 tsp Baking soda
- 1/4 cup Water
- 2 cups Grated carrot (measured after grating)
- 100 gms Chopped cashews and walnuts (refer notes)
- 2 tsp Vanilla essence
- Juice of 1 orange
- Zest of 1 orange
- 1.5 cups Powdered sugar (you need 1 cup regular sugar to get 1.5 cups powdered sugar)
- 1/2 cup Vegetable oil (I used sunflower oil)
- 3 Eggs (@ room temp)
- Preheat oven at 180 C, 10 mins before baking. Grease and line(with parchment paper) two 7 inch cake tins.
- Soak dates in 1/4 cup water and 1/2 tsp baking soda for 1 hour.
- Using an electric beater, mix the powdered sugar and oil, till it’s combined well.
- Separate the egg yolk and whites. Add the yolk, one by one, to the sugar and oil mixture. Beat well after each addition.
- Add soaked dates, chopped nuts and grated carrots to the above mixture. Mix well using a wooden spatula or manual whisk. Add vanilla essence, orange juice and zest to the above mix and combine well.
- Powder cinnamon, cloves and cardamom. Add grated nutmeg to this and mix well. Combine together plain flour, baking soda and the spice mixture. Sift this and add to the batter along with semolina.
- Beat the egg whites till a stiff peak forms. Add this to the cake batter and fold in gently, till no white traces are visible.
- Transfer this to the prepared cake tins and bake in the preheated oven for 35 – 40 mins or till the tooth pick inserted comes out clean.