Wait a minute…havent I already posted a Tomato Rice recipe? well… I've! So, if you are wondering whether am posting the old recipe again with new pics and a video to boot, nope. Not exactly!
The difference between the earlier recipe and this one is, this is a party wear edition of Tomato Rice whereas the earlier one was an everyday recipe ;)
This is a proper Tomato Rice recipe with all the works. We haven't taken any shortcuts but it's still an easy and fuss-free recipe.
This is something that I make very often and we usually have it with some raita, pappad, and pickle. However, if you are keen on having a side dish, check out this Indian Style Potato Roast recipe, it's a great combo!
Check out the video recipe below:
Here is the recipe…
- 1 cup Basmati Rice
- 2 medium – large Tomatoes (sliced)
- 1 medium – large Onion (Sliced)
- 1.5 tsp, each Crushed ginger and garlic
- 1 Chopped green chilli (optional)
- 1.5 tsp Kashmiri chilli powder
- 1 tsp Coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric powder
- 3/4 tsp Garam masala
- 2 – 3 tbsp Coconut milk (optional, but recommended)
- 1.5 tbsp Chopped coriander leaves
- 1/2 tbsp Mint leaves
- 1.5 – 2 tbsp Ghee / Oil (I recommend using ghee)
- 1 Bay leaf
- Cook the rice with salt for 6-7 mins and drain the water. Let the cooked rice cool completely.
- Heat oil/ghee in a wide pan. Add bay leaf and sliced onion. Cook till onion becomes soft and begins to brown. No need to brown completely.
- Add crushed ginger, garlic and chopped green chilli (if using). Mix well and cook for 2-3 mins, till the raw smell goes.
- Add sliced tomatoes and salt. Cook till it becomes soft (refer notes)
- Add all the spice powders 9kashmiri chilli, coriander, turmeric and garam masala). Mix well and cook for another 2-3 mins, till the raw smell goes and oil starts appearing.
- Add coconut milk (if using) or water to the masala. Combine everything well.
- Add chopped coriander and mint leaves and mix well. Add cooked rice.
- Gently mix together rice and masala, until the masala is nicely mixed with the rice.
- At this stage, you can add 1 tsp of ghee if you wish. it will enhance the flavor of the rice.
- Switch off the gas. Cover and let the rice rest for 15 – 20 mins before serving. Serve with raita, pappad and pickle.