Have I told you before… I'm a breakfast person. From my childhood days, I never skipped breakfast. I didn't even mind waking up early during school days so that I can have proper breakfast before I go to school.
These days am exploring more traditional breakfast recipes. That's how I ended up trying this recipe. Though I've seen pongal recipes before it never interested me.
Some time ago, I tried sweet pongal and I was hooked! Since we both like rava (semolina) based dishes, I thought I'll give this recipe a try.
The spices tempered in ghee adds lots of flavor to this wonderfully gooey Rava Pongal. Serve it with some coconut chutney and you've a wholesome dish!
We had it with red coconut chutney, but I guess the white chutney works well too.
Hope you will also enjoy this traditional dish.
Recipe from here
- 1/2 cup Rava/ semolina
- 1/4 cup Moong dal (cherupayar parippu)
- Salt As needed
- To temper
- 3 tbsp Ghee + oil (I used only ghee)
- 2 tsp Black pepper (I used only 1 tsp)
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds
- 8 Cashew nuts
- 2 tsp Ginger finely chopped
- 1 Green chilli
- 1 Sprig Curry leaves
- Dry roast moong dal until roasted smell comes and turns golden here and there. Pressure cook with 3/4 cup water for 3 whistles. Switch off the flame and let the pressure drops naturally. Open the cooker and mash the dal with the back of a wooden spoon.
- Dry roast rava too, in slow – medium flame without changing its color but it should flow freely.
- In a wide pan, add ghee + oil, temper with the items given under ‘To temper’ , in order. Give 30 seconds time between adding back pepper, jeera and cashew as it needs to get roasted. Then add the rest of the ingredients.
- Add cooked and mashed moong dal. Mix well.
- Add 1 & 1/2 cups of water, required salt and bring to boil. Add roasted rava in a sprinkled way as you stir. Lower the flame and cook covered. Cook for 5- 8 minutes or until the rava gets cooked soft. In between you can give it a stir.
2 thoughts on “Rava Pongal”
Why don’t you include the number of serves with the mentioned ingredients??
Will try to add that.