Here is the recipe…
Recipe adapted from Flavours of the Spice Coast by Mrs. K.M. Mathew
- 150-200 gms Okra (Vendakka) ( sliced 1" lengthwise)
- 1.5 tsp Coriander powder
- 1 tsp Chilli powder
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric powder
- 1/4 - 1/2 tsp Pepper powder
- 1/2 tsp Fennel Powder
- A small piece Cinnamon
- 2 pods Cardamom pods
- 1 medium Onion (finely sliced)
- 1 tsp Ginger (chopped)
- 1.5 cup Thin coconut milk
- 1/2 cup Thick coconut milk
- 1 tbsp Chopped cashews (optional)
- Curry leaves
- Grind all the powders and whole spices to a fine paste, by adding 1- 1 1/2 tbsp water. Heat oil in a pan and saute the sliced okra for a few mins and keep it aside.
- In the same pan, add the sliced onion and chopped ginger and curry leaves. Cook till the onions turn light golden brown in colour. Add the ground paste to this and cook for 2-3 mins or till the oil appears. Add thin coconut milk and let it boil.
- Add the okra and salt and simmer till the okra cooks and gravy thickens. Add the thick coconut milk and simmer for 3-4 more mins and remove from fire. Garnish with some freshly ground pepper, dont omit this. It enhances the flavour of the dish.
- If you are using cashews, soak it in hot water for 5-10 mins. Grind it to a smooth paste. Add this paste to the thick coconut milk and mix well and follow the rest of the recipe.
The original recipe uses lemon juice also, but I didnt add it. if you want, you can add it along with okra to the gravy.