Preparing variety meals on a daily basis is a challenge, if you ask me. I think we tend to cook the same dishes again and again and soon we get bored! Do you remember the Jaldi Tomato Rice recipe, which I posted sometime ago? I used to cook it every now and then and finally Jose said, if I cook it one more time, he will shut down the site!! See, it’s always a bad idea for couples to work together ;)
These days, when I go grocery and veggie shopping, I make sure to buy something new, be it veggies or herbs or cheese. Also, I’m searching for simple recipes which can be made on a daily basis. That’s how I landed on this one.
I always associated pasta with creamy sauce, which is good once in a while but not on a daily basis. That’s what I liked about this recipe. It’s healthy and it’s loaded with flavour. Also it’s very versatile, you can have it with pasta or as a sandwich or as a dip or with some steamed rice or as a wrap. Another thing I liked about this is you can make this 2-3 days ahead. The flavour develops as it rests.
Btw, the original recipe is called Eggplant Caponata. Caponata is basically an Italian sweet and sour cooked vegetable stew or salad, mainly consisting of Eggplant. I’ve seen many people who doesn’t take a liking to Eggplant. I was one among them. I think it all depends on how it’s used. If you taste a dish that highlights the flavour of this meaty vegetable, I’m sure you will be a convert like me :)
I do hope you give this dish a try and like it too..
Here is the recipe…
Cook pasta as per package instructions and keep it aside…
Heat oil over medium-high heat in a wide and deep sauté pan. Add eggplant, capsicum, onion, mushrooms, and garlic. Season with salt and pepper. Cook for about 10 minutes, until vegetables are soft. Add spinach leaves (if using) and cook for 2-3 mins, till it is wilted…
Add the olives, tomato paste, vinegar, sugar, and oregano. Season again with salt and pepper. Lower heat to medium-low, cover, and cook for 30 minutes…
Recipe adapted from here
- 1 medium -big Eggplant (400-425 gms, cut into small cubes)
- 125 gms Mushroom (sliced)
- 1 small Capsicum (diced)
- 1 cup Spinach leaves (optional)
- 1 small Onion (diced)
- 1.5 tbsp Minced garlic
- 1/2 cup Black olives (pitted and sliced)
- 1/2 cup minus 1 tbsp Readymade tomato paste
- 2-3 tbsp Red Wine Vinegar (refer notes for substitutes)
- 1.5 tsp Sugar
- 1/2 tsp Dried oregano
- 1/2 -1 tsp Pepper powder
- Olive oil
- Parmesan cheese/Mozzarella cheese (as required)
- 250 gms Pasta (refer notes)
- Cook pasta as per package instructions and keep it aside.
- Heat oil over medium-high heat in a wide and deep sauté pan. Add eggplant, capsicum, onion, mushrooms, and garlic. Season with salt and pepper. Cook for about 10 minutes, until vegetables are soft. Add spinach leaves (if using) and cook for 2-3 mins, till it is wilted.
- Add the olives, tomato paste, vinegar, sugar, and oregano. Season again with salt and pepper. Lower heat to medium-low, cover, and cook for 30 minutes. Stir a few times during cooking, and add a tablespoon or two of water (or olive brine) if the mixture is too thick and sticking to the bottom of the pan.
- Allow the mixture to cool. Spoon on bread, top with mozzarella and basil Or, serve warm as a dip or serve with pasta with some grated parmesan on top.