Prawns season has started in Bahrain. I should say that’s one of the few exciting things that I look forward to in this scorching summer season. I’ve heard some people say prawns is one of the major contributor for cholesterol where as some say it isn’t. I don’t know whom to believe, hhmm… since am a hardcore prawns fan I guess I will go with the second group ;).
Usually I make dry preparations with prawns like prawns roast, prawns olathiyathu etc; For a change I tried this preparation and am happy with it. Hope you will also like it :). Back home we don’t make prawns curry at all, we make only prawns olathiyathu. However my mom in law makes fish curry with mango and I love that curry, so I had that taste in mind while making this and this one was quite similar to that. Btw, am not sure which part of Kerala this style of preparation belongs to, let me guess…north Kerala??? You are welcome to share if you know it :)
Here is the recipe:
- 250 gms Cleaned prawns
- 1 Raw mango (pacha manga) ( sliced into small pieces)
- 1 med – big Onion (sliced finely)
- 1/2 – 1 tbsp Chopped Ginger
- 2 Green chilli
- 1 tbsp Coriander powder
- 1/2 – 1 tbsp Chilly powder
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric powder
- 1.5 cups Medium thick coconut milk
- 1 cup Thick coconut milk
- 4 Small onion / Pearl onion (sliced finely)
- 1/2 tsp Mustard
- Curry leaves
- Oil (I used coconut oil)
- Grind together ginger, green chilli, coriander powder, chilli powder and turmeric powder with a little water. Combine prawns, mango & onion with ground masala. Add medium thick coconut milk & salt to this. Mix well. Cook till the gravy becomes thick & the prawns are done. Add thick coconut milk. Bring it to a boil and remove from fire.
- Heat oil in a pan & splutter mustard. Add small onions & curry leaves. Fry it till the onion becomes golden brown. Add it to the curry. Serve hot with rice.