I fell in love with this Kerala Style Prawns Vazhakka Roast recipe even before I made it. It has two of my fav ingredients – Prawns and Vazhakka (Raw Banana). If you follow my FB and Insta pages, you might have seen my lunch posts. Vazhakka Upperi is a popular item on my lunch menu ;)
Now, coming to this recipe… it’s a typical Kerala style dish, packed with the flavors of kokum, spices and coconut milk. I love the combination of kokum and coconut milk, the tanginess from the kokum finds a perfect balance with the sweetness of the coconut milk.
This is a very good side dish for Rice or even Chapathis. I’m sure, you will also love it. Do try it and let me know.
Prawns Vazhakka Roast
- 250 gms Prawns (measured after cleaning)
- 1 small Pacha Kaya (raw banana) (cubed)
- 15 sliced Small / Pearl onion
- 1/2 – 1 tsp, each Chopped ginger & garlic
- 1 tbsp, each Crushed ginger & garlic
- 1 medium – big Tomato (sliced)
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric powder
- 2.5 – 3 tsp Chilli powder
- 1 tsp Coriander powder
- 2 big Kudam puli (kokum) (soaked in 2 tbsp hot water for 10-15 mins)
- 1/2 cup Medium-thick coconut milk
- 1/4 tsp Mustard seeds
- A pinch Fenugreek seeds (4-5)
- 1/2 – 1 tbsp Coconut oil
- Curry leaves
- Heat oil in a pan and crackle mustard and fenugreek seeds. Add chopped ginger & garlic. Cook for 1-2 mins. Add sliced pearl onions and cook till it browns.
- Add crushed ginger & garlic, cook for 3-4 mins.
- Add spice powders (turmeric, chilli, and coriander). Cook for 2-3 mins or till the raw smell goes. Check out Prawns Pollichathu
- Add sliced tomato and salt. Cook till tomato becomes soft.
- Add cubed raw banana, kokum along with the soaked water and 1/2 – 3/4 cup water. Bring to boil. Reduce flame. Cook till raw banana is cooked and water is dried. Check out Prawns Biryani
- Add cleaned prawns, curry leaves and coconut milk. Cook till the prawns are done and the gravy is dried and the prawns and banana are coated well with the masala.
- Check to season and let the curry rest for 10-15 mins, before serving.