Make ahead appetiser / starter recipes like these Chicken Croquettes are something that I always look out for. It comes handy when you are in the mood for a quick snack but feel lazy to make it or when you have some unexpected guests. For me, make ahead starter is really appealing when I plan a party, I've one thing less to worry about.
I think I've told you before also, I look forward to the appetisers and desserts at any party. The main course is not my thing ;) This is a simple and easy one to make, what I like most about this is, there isn't much chopping involved. If you look at the ingredients list, you'll understand that it's just a great combo and you can't go wrong with it.
Also, can I say one more thing, without sounding preachy? If you are in the habit of buying frozen nuggets for your kids, this is a very good option instead of a frozen item. It won't take much time to make and you can store it in the freezer, just thaw the required portions and use it. I served it to kids for a party and they enjoyed it very much.
It's my go-to appetiser these days and I find it really hard to keep my hands off the mixture while rolling it ;) It's a great dish for a potluck party too.
Hope I've convinced you enough, to give it a try ;)
Here is the recipe…
Melt butter in a deep and wide pan. Add minced garlic. Fry for a min or two and add plain flour. Stir continuously till the raw smell of the flour goes, around 2-3 mins. Add milk and mix well…
Add chopped parsley and pepper powder. Stir well. Make sure there are no lumps.When the sauce thickens add grated cheese. Mix well…
Add minced / shredded chicken,mushroom and salt. Mix well. Cook on low flame for 5 mins. Remove from fire and let it cool to room temp…
Shape the mixture into small logs. Dip the shaped rolls in egg white and roll in bread crumbs…
Please read the notes section for veg substitute
- 2 cups Cooked and minced/shredded chicken (refer notes)
- 1/2 cup Sliced and cooked mushroom
- 1 tsp Minced garlic
- 30 gms Butter (I used unsalted butter)
- 1 tbsp Plain flour
- 1/2 cup Milk (refer notes)
- 1/2 -1 tsp Pepper powder
- 1 tbsp Chopped parsley
- 1 tbsp Grated parmesan cheese (refer notes)
- 2 Egg whites
- 1 tbsp Plain flour
- 1-2 cups Bread crumbs
- Oil ( for deep frying)
- Melt butter in a deep and wide pan. Add minced garlic. Fry for a min or two and add plain flour. Stir continuously till the raw smell of the flour goes, around 2-3 mins. Add milk and mix well. Add chopped parsley and pepper powder. Stir well. Make sure there are no lumps.
- When the sauce thickens add grated cheese. Mix well. Add minced / shredded chicken,mushroom and salt. Mix well. Cook on low flame for 5 mins. Remove from fire and let it cool to room temp.
- Shape the mixture into small logs.
- Slightly whisk the egg whites with 1-2 tbsp water and plain flour.
- Dip the shaped rolls in egg white mixture and roll in bread crumbs. You can freeze the rolls at this point. Pack them in freezer safe containers or zip lock bags.
- For frying, heat oil at med-high flame, in a deep and wide pan. Once the oil is hot, but not smoking hot, reduce the flame to low-medium. Start frying the rolls in batches (refer notes). Serve hot with tomato ketchup.
I used around 400-450 gms boneless chicken breast to make this. I boiled the chicken with salt and pepper and minced it later on.
If you are using salted butter, be careful while adding additional salt.
If the sauce gets too thick, after adding milk, add a bit more milk to loosen it. Though I've used Parmesan cheese, you can use any cheese of your choice.
You can freeze this for 1-2 weeks. Thaw overnight in refrigerator and follow the rest of the recipe.
While frying, just try with one roll and see whether the oil is at the right temp.
For veg version - I havent tried it yet, but I guess a combination of mushroom and spinach with a little mashed potato (to hold the shape) should work out. To substitute egg whites, make a batter with plain flour and water and dip the rolls in them.