For the past couple of years, though I wanted to share Easter special posts with you, it didn't happen. This year I was hoping I could share at least one recipe with you.
This is a flavor-packed Chicken Roast recipe that goes well with plain rice/pulao/appam etc; I wanted something that can be done quickly without compromising all the flavors.
I've posted other Chicken roast recipes before but they all had coconut in them in one form or another. So, I wanted to try one without coconut and here you go.
I do hope you get to try it and enjoy it as much as we did.
We, Jose and Maria, Wish you and your loved ones a very Happy Easter!
You can see other Easter recipes here
Here is the recipe…
- 1/2 kg Chicken, cut into small – medium size pieces (measured after cleaning)
- 2 medium – big Onion (sliced)
- 1 medium Tomato (sliced)
- 2.5 – 3 tsp Kashmiri chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric powder
- 1/4 – 1/2 tsp Fennel powder
- 1/2 tsp Chicken/meat masala
- 1/2 tbsp Crushed garlic
- 1-2 tbsp Chopped coriander leaves
- 1 tbsp Chopped cashew nuts
- Curry leaves
- 2 tbsp Coconut oil
- Marinate cleaned chicken pieces with sliced onion, tomato, kashmiri chilli powder, turmeric powder, fennel powder, chicken masala and salt. Add 1/3 cup water to this and pressure cook for 1 whistle on full flame. Switch off the gas and let the pressure drop naturally.
- Separate the chicken pieces from the gravy.
- Heat oil in a wide pan and shallow fry the chicken pieces till it's golden brown on both sides. Transfer the chicken to a plate.
- To the same frying pan (add more oil if required), add crushed garlic and fry well for 2-3 mins. Add the onions and tomatoes from the pressure cooker (excluding the stock/cooking water) to the pan.
- Cook till the onions caramelise. Add the stock/cooking water to the caramelised onions and tomato. Bring it to boil. Add fried chicken pieces. Reduce flame to the lowest. Cover and cook till the gravy is almost reduced and chicken pieces are coated well with the masala.
- Fry the chopped cashew till it's golden brown. Garnish the cooked chicken with fried cashews and chopped coriander leaves.
- Serve the chicken roast with rice/roti/pathiri/appam