Baking time again :) I first made this cake just a month ago and I guess I've made it 5-6 times since then. I usually don't bake the same cake so frequently. This is an exception because Jose loves this cake. I am the official cake lover among the two of us, but for this cake I've competition :) These days when Jose goes shopping, he always comes back with white chocolate and I guess now I've enough white chocolate to make more than a dozen cakes… :)
This is a simple & easy to bake cake. The cake has a thick crust top, but it's very moist as well. Though it's simple… its a rich cake, so if you are looking for the combo of something simple and grand at the same time, then I would recommend this. I haven't tried the frosting yet ( am always partial towards plain cake :) ), but I am sure it would be really great with white chocolate ganache.
Here is the recipe:
Please read the “notes” section before baking.
White Chocolate Mud Cake
- 250 gms Unsalted butter (chopped)
- 150 gms White cooking chocolate
- 2 cups Caster sugar (440 gm (refer notes for substitute))
- 1 cup Milk (250 ml)
- 1.5 cups Plain flour (225 gm)
- 1/2 cup Self-raising flour (75 gm (refer notes for substitute))
- 1 tsp Vanilla essence
- 2 Eggs (beaten lightly)
For White Chocolate Ganache
- 1/2 cup Cream (125 ml)
- 300 gms White cooking chocolate (chopped)
- Preheat oven to 160 degree/325 F, 10 minutes before baking.Grease deep 20 cm-round cake pan; line base and side with baking paper.
- For the cake
- Combine butter, chocolate, sugar and milk in medium saucepan; using wooden spoon, stir over low heat, without boiling, until smooth. Transfer mixture to a larger bowl. Cool 15 minutes.
- Whisk in flours then essence and egg;
- Pour mixture into prepared pan. Bake for 1 3/4 hours. Cover cake with foil halfway through baking if cake is over browning. Cake will develop a thick sugary crust during baking. Test for firmness by touching with fingers about 5 minutes before the end of baking time. Then test with skewer. Stand cake in pan 10 minutes then turn onto wire rack; turn top -side up to cool.
- For white chocolate ganache
- Bring cream to a boil in small sauce pan; pour over chocolate in small bowl, stir with wooden spoon until chocolate melts. Cover bowl; refrigerate, stirring occasionally, about 30 minutes or until ganache is of a spreadable consistency.
- Place the cooled cake on a serving plate, spread all over with white chocolate ganache.
Recipe source: Chocolate Cakes by The Australian Women's Weekly