Here is a simple sweet treat to whip up quickly for your Easter party. This is the kind of pudding we used to have at home during my childhood days. It's a milk based pudding with three different flavours that works well together.
I've bookmarked this recipe sometime ago when I saw it on my friend Gayathri's blog. Finally got around to make it the other day and it was just like what I expected. It has a nice creamy texture with mild sweetness that's perfectly balanced by the Vanilla, Coffee and Chocolate flavours.
Hope you'll also enjoy this.
Wish you and your loved ones a wonderful Easter! Stay Blessed!
Check out here for more Easter recipes
Here is the recipe…
- 3.5 cups Milk
- 1 cup Sugar (or 1 ¼ cup refer notes)
- 1.5 tbsp Vanilla custard powder
- 2 tbsp Gelatin
- 1/2 cup Cold water (or Ice cold water)
- 1 cup Whipping cream
- 1.5 tsp Coffee powder
- 1.5 tbsp Cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup + 1/4 cup Boiling water
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla essence
- Heat 3 cups of milk and when the steam starts appearing from it, add the sugar and stir until dissolved.
- In another bowl, add the custard powder to the remaining 1/2 cup of milk, and mix till its smooth without any lumps.
- Now add this custard milk into the first milk mixture and keep stirring on medium heat until the entire mixture thickens. This would take about 10-15 mins.
- Simultaneously, mix the gelatin in the ice cold water and leave aside for 15 mins.
- Once the custard-milk-sugar mixture thickens, add the gelatin which would have turned into a big jelly like lump.
- Keep stirring on medium heat, until the gelatin gets fully dissolved.
- Once done, switch off the heat and either transfer mixture into a larger bowl to allow it to cool faster else immerse the base of the pan in some ice cold water. Allow the entire mixture to cool to room temperature.
- Whip the cream separately with an electric beater till soft peaks form and add it into the cooled custard. Fold the cream completely into the custard.
- Meanwhile, dissolve the coffee powder in the ¼ cup of boiling water and the cocoa powder in the other ¼ cup of boiling water.
- Divide the custard into two equal portions.
- Keep one half portion aside as it is and divide the other half into two equal portions.
- The intention is the majority portion is for vanilla, and the rest equally divided between coffee and chocolate.
- Now, add the vanilla essence into the largest custard portion and stir gently. Add coffee and cocoa mixture to the other two portions respectively and mix gently.
- To set the pudding:
- Grease the pudding pans with some butter.
- First pour the chocolate custard into the base of the pan and allow it set in the freezer for 15-20 mins.
- Once you are sure it is set, then only pour the vanilla custard and to set it again for 15-20 mins in freezer.
- Then to pour the coffee custard and allow it to set for another 15-20 mins. Once the pudding is set, transfer to the refrigerator.
You can either set it in one big pudding dish or in individual serving dish. The pudding keeps well in fridge for 2-3 days. I used 1 cup of sugar and I was happy with the sweetness level. Though I havent tried, I think you can also China grass or agar agar to set this pudding. Also you can try different flavors like strawberry, mango, butterscotch etc;
Tried this recipe? Let others know by…mentioning @mariasmenu or tagging #mariasmenu
10 thoughts on “Rainbow Pudding”
Tried this recipe and it came out quite well. Thanks for your recipe. Will definitely try more n more frm ur list n let u knw the results.
Thanks a lot for leaving a comment here :) Happy to know that the pudding came out well for you.
Hope you will like the other recipes too..
This is an amazing recipe Maria. Tried it for my son’s birthday party and was showered with compliments, thanks to you :)
Belated b’day wishes to your son :) Great to know that it was a hit at the party.
Thank you so much for sharing your feedback here.
i followed your recipe to make the pudding as it is..
i also tried ur method to put in various flavors of chocolate, mango, blueberry, pista, rose milk and valilla..and im so thnakful to you..it worked!! :) :)
Thank you very much for trying out this recipe and also for sharing the pic, it looks great! I’ll share this on FB page, one of these days.
I’m glad that it came out well :)
Can you please tell me the size of pan for this quantity? Also should I double the recipe for a 13*9*2 inch pan?
I used individual pudding dish to serve this.. My guess is an 8 inch dish will be enough for the qty mentioned in the recipe.
Hope the pudding comes out well. All the best :)
hi Maria, i tried ur ‘Rainbow pudding’ it was awesome…i have tried most of your
recipes and it all came out very well….thank u so much for your recipes…u really rocks!!
Thank you so much Amy :) Great to know that you liked the pudding recipe.