Let's eat cake!
If you are a regular visitor here, you should be knowing my love for plain cakes especially citrus flavoured plain cakes.
If you want to get on my good side, all you need to do is just offer me some good old homemade plain cake ;)
I've posted a number of Orange Cake recipes before and if you ask me what makes this cake different, honestly, I don't know!
All I know is… this Orange Butter Cake is a rich buttery moist cake with tender crumbs, draped in a royal golden hue and scented with the refreshing orange zest! Is that good enough reason for you to try this recipe?
I certainly hope so!
Btw, if you wanna check out other Orange cakes, here you go: Orange Pound Cake, Orange Almond Cake
Here is the recipe…
Recipe from here
- 250 g Salted Butter (room temperature)
- 4 egg yolks
- 100 gms (1/2 cup) caster sugar
- 180 gms (1 1/4 cup + 2 tsp) self-raising flour (sifted)
- 60 ml (1/4 cup) freshly squeezed orange juice
- zest of 1 orange
- 1 teaspoon orange extract (optional)
- 4 egg whites
- 50 gms (1/4 cup) caster sugar
- In a mixing bowl, cream together butter and sugar until the mixture turns light and fluffy.
- Add the egg yolks, one at a time, and mix until each is completely incorporated before adding the next.
- Add the orange zest and orange extract and mix to combine.
- To this, add the flour and orange juice in the sequence flour-juice-flour-juice-flour, mixing until the flour has just been incorporated. Set this aside.
- In a clean mixing bowl, whisk the egg whites until foamy.
- Gradually, add caster sugar, all the while whisking, until stiff peaks form.
- Beat 1/3 of the meringue into the egg yolk mixture.
- Gently fold the remaining meringue into the yolk mixture in 2 batches, until no white streaks remain.
- Transfer the batter into a lined and lightly greased 8-inch round baking pan. Smooth the top as best as you can.
- Bake the cake at 170°C for 35-40 minutes, or until an inserted skewer emerges cleanly. Once baked, cool the cake in the pan for about 20 minutes before transferring it onto a cooling rack to cool completely.
If you are using unsalted butter, add 1/4 tsp salt to the flour and follow the recipe. I made only half qty of the above recipe. Substitute for self-raising flour – take 180 gms plain flour (maida) and add 2 1/4 tsp baking powder and a pinch of salt. Whisk well and follow the recipe. Substitute for Caster sugar – take the same qty of regular sugar and pulse once or twice. Do not powder the sugar. I didn't use orange extract. If you like a really strong orange flavor, use the zest of 2 oranges or increase the qty of orange juice to 1/3 cup.
Tried this recipe? Let others know by…mentioning @mariasmenu or tagging #mariasmenu
2 thoughts on “Orange Butter Cake”
Brilliant recipe! Thank you! How do you store this cake and how long does it keep for?
Thank you Ruth :) You can store it at room temp in an airtight container for 2-3 days.