I've been wanting to bake something savoury for quite some time. I checked out recipes and shortlisted some, even some fancy recipes.
I did bake something savoury but not fancy. In fact, this Potato Mushroom Pie is a very simple, homely and comforting dish.
Looks like am not fancy after all ;)
This dish is comforting heartwarming food at its best. It doesn't need much prep work and the ingredients are easily available.
There are potatoes. mushrooms, white sauce and cheese, need I say more? oh yeah, you can add bacon or chicken to make it more wholesome!
Do check it out and let me know how you like it.
Btw, I sliced the pie soon after it got out of the oven and that's why it looks like this. If you let it rest for sometime, you can slice it out perfectly. But hey, who is worried about the shape as long as it tastes great, right?
Here is the recipe…
- 3 large Potatoes (around 700 gms)
- 200 gms Mushrooms (sliced)
- 1 medium Onion (chopped)
- 2 tbsp Butter (refer notes)
- 1.5 tbsp Plain flour (maida)
- 1/2 – 1 tbsp Minced garlic
- 1.5 cups Hot milk
- 1-2 tbsp Grated parmesan cheese (refer notes)
- 2 tbsp Pizza/Pasta sauce (refer notes for substitute)
- 1/3 -1/2 cup Breadcrumbs
- 1 tbsp Oil (I used olive oil)
- Pressure cook the cleaned potatoes with skin on till it's done. I cooked it for 6-7 whistles on full flame.
- Once the cooked potatoes are cooled, peel and mash them. It's better if the mashed potatoes have some texture, so make it a bit lumpy. Season the mashed potatoes with salt and pepper. You can also add a knob of butter, if you wish.
- Heat oil in a pan and add chopped onion. Once it softens, add sliced mushrooms. Cook till it's done. season it with salt and pepper.
- Melt butter in a deep and wide pan. Add minced garlic and cook for 2-3 mins. Add flour and roast till the raw smell goes. Add hot milk gradually and make a thick white sauce. make sure you stir continuously to get a smooth thick white sauce. Add grated parmesan cheese (if using). Season the white sauce with salt and pepper.
- Add mashed potatoes and cooked mushroom (keep aside 2 tbsp) to the white sauce and mix well.
- Grease an 8-inch baking dish with butter. Transfer the potato white sauce mixture to the greased dish. Level the top with a spatula.
- Spread the pizza/pasta sauce on top of the potato mixture. Top the pizza/pasta sauce with breadcrumbs. arrange the kept aside mushrroms on top.
- Preheat the oven to 180 C, for 10 mins before baking.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 25 – 30 mins.
- Let the pie rest at least for half an hour (refer notes). Serve with bread or sausage or salad.