Christmas is almost here! So, have you finalised the menu yet? If you are anything like me, the menu will never be finalised! It will keep changing till the last min.. Just the other day, we invited some friends over and I started the menu planning way in advance, it went on for so long, but the only thing I ended up with, was a headache.
Decision making is sadly not my cup of tea. I walk around the decisions too much and only when somebody presses the push button, I finally make a decision. Anyways let's not waste time by discussing such boring things. After all, this is the season of peace, joy & happiness and also the season of good food ;)
This is a recipe which I wanted to try for a long time. It’s my friend Maryann’s recipe. I’ve had it from her place several times and every time, I get the recipe, but somehow never got around to trying it. But I wanted to share this wonderful recipe with you as a Christmas special, so I got the recipe from her, again, and finally I can remove it from my “to do” list!
Though the final cooking or baking is done in a one pot dish, you definitely need more than a pot or a pan for this. It’s a simple recipe and there are no difficult steps. But, it’s a bit time consuming, since you’ve to put together different steps. Dont worry, it’s all easy steps and with a little bit of planning, you can whip this up quickly. You can do some steps in advance like cooking the chicken and mushroom, also making the mashed potatoes. If you manage to get all those steps in advance, the assembling and the baking of the dish isn't much.
This is a rich and soul warming dish, apt for a Christmas feast or for a special occasion. It’s a very good dish to entertain or have on a chilled winter day. If you are the kind of person, who likes slightly rich and comforting food, then this is ideal for you.
I do hope you get to try this and share this with your loved ones.
We, Jose & Maria, wish you and your loved ones a Very Merry Christmas! May this season bring you the best of everything, God Bless!
Here is the recipe…
Since, it's a bit lengthy post, I've shared the step by step pics, only from the part of white sauce.
In the same pan melt butter. Add minced garlic and cook for 2-3 mins, till the raw smell goes…
Add plain flour and mix well. Keep stirring and cook till the roasted smell comes 4-5 mins. While stirring, add water-milk mixture gradually. Keep on stirring, till the sauce becomes thick. The sauce should have a smooth consistency, without any lumps…
Add chopped parsley and pepper & salt (if using unsalted butter)
Lightly grease a baking dish, you can use an 8 inch, deep baking dish. Pour half of the white sauce on the bottom. Place cooked chicken on top of the white sauce…
Layer sliced boiled eggs on top of the chicken. Layer mushroom and spinach (if using) on top of the boiled eggs…
Spread the mashed potato on top of the mushroom and spinach. Pour the remaining white sauce on top of the mashed potato…
Sprinkle grated cheese as the final layer. Bake in the preheated oven for 25- 30 mins. The cheese should be melted and bubbly. For the last 5 mins, you can use the broiler for the cheese to melt…
Chicken Shepherd's Pie
- 350 gms Chicken, cubed (I used chicken breast)
- 3 med -big Potato (boiled & mashed)
- 5-6 pieces Mushroom (sliced)
- 2 cups Spinach (optional)
- 2 Boiled eggs (sliced thinly)
- 50-60 gms Butter (I used unsalted)
- 1.5 cups Milk
- 1/2 cup Water
- 1/4 cup Plain Flour
- 1.5 tsp Minced garlic
- 1-2 tbsp Chopped Parsley
- Oil (I used Olive oil)
- Preheat oven at 180 C, 10 mins before baking.
- Heat oil in a wide pan and add cubed chicken. Season with salt and pepper. Cook till it's done. Remove from the pan and slice them. Keep it aside.
- In the same add 1-2 tsp oil and cook mushroom with salt and pepper. When mushroom is almost done, add spinach leaves (if using). Cook till leaves are wilted and water is dried.
- Add butter to the same pan and melt it. Add minced garlic and cook for 2-3 mins, till the raw smell goes. Add plain flour and mix well. Keep stirring and cook till the roasted smell comes 4-5 mins. While stirring, add water-milk mixture gradually. Keep on stirring, till the sauce becomes thick. The sauce should have a smooth consistency, without any lumps. Add chopped parsley and pepper & salt (if using unsalted butter).
- Lightly grease a baking dish, you can use an 8 inch, deep baking dish. Pour half of the white sauce on the bottom. Place cooked chicken on top of the white sauce.
- Layer sliced boiled eggs on top of the chicken. Layer mushroom and spinach (if using) on top of the boiled eggs. Spread the mashed potato on top of the mushroom and spinach. Pour the remaining white sauce on top of the mashed potato.
- Sprinkle grated cheese as the final layer. Bake in the preheated oven for 25- 30 mins. The cheese should be melted and bubbly. For the last 5 mins, you can use the broiler for the cheese to melt.
20 thoughts on “Chicken Shepherd’s Pie”
Which cheese did you use? And quantity required?
I used cheddar cheese and I used around 1/2 – 3/4 cup of grated cheese.
Super recipe. It’s always a hit at home and guests. The best way to get kids eat mushrooms and spinach.
Wonderful recipe.. This page is my life saver! I love all the recipes, everything turns out very well.
Thanks a lot for your lovely comment :) Really excited to know that the recipes posted here works well for you.
Can i use glass pan for baking this dish
Yes Anu, you can use glass dish (as long as it’s oven safe) for baking this.
Please ignore my comment/question. I found the answer in the quoted Recipe area. Missed that completely earlier. The page might not been loaded fully earlier.
Thank you so much for your feedback. Great to know that MM is your referral point in kitchen :) Hope you got to try this recipe and if so, liked it too..
Thank you very much for sharing all lot of your expertise. MM is definitely a referral point in many occasions(in kitchen).
One question, what is the temperature while pre-heating and baking?
Maria ur sheperd’s pie is such a hit with my son that he doesn’t mind eating it every other day.
Thank you so much :) I’m really happy to know that your son likes this dish very much, even I dont mind eating it every other day ;)
This recipe was amazing Maria.Made this for dinner last night and we enjoyed thoroughly especially my toddler girl ..Thank you so much for sharing this
Thank you so much :) Great to know that the recipe was liked by your family, especially your lil girl. I’ve seen kids enjoying this recipe very much.
Thanks a lot for good recepies.What spinach u have added for this receipe.Is it palak cheera or normal cheera which is used for thoran?
You are welcome :) I used baby spinach (which is commonly used for salads) for this recipe. If you cant find baby spinach, I think it’s better to use Palak leaves..
This is simply super and easy to make dish. I tried it for new year party and was a superhit. kids and elders enjoyed the dish. Thanks for posting this!
Thank you so much dear :) Really happy that it was a hit at your party. Wish you all a Very Happy new Year!
Hi Maria, I’m a big fan of your page. I used to try most of the recipes. For this Christmas I made this recipe. It was super awesome and easy to make. Came out really delicious and yummy. I added pasta too to make it more filling. Thanks a lot for sharing this great recipe
Thank you so much :) I’m really thrilled to know that MM was a part of your Christmas menu. Thanks again for trying out this recipe and I’m glad you liked it. Adding pasta is a good idea to make it more filling.
Wish you a Happy New Year!