Learn how to make traditional Kerala snack recipe – Vattayappam. It’s a snack common among the Kerala Christian community. Though the ingredients used are very similar to that of Appam, the method of cooking is different, Also, it’s generally sweeter than Appam.
Here is the recipe…
- 2 cups Rice Flour
- 2 cups Grated Coconut
- 1/2 cup Sugar
- 2 tbsp Rava (semolina)
- 1/2 tsp Yeast
- 1/2 tsp Sugar
- Raisins – for garnishing
- Cook rava with 2 glasses of water till it becomes soft & loose. Let it cool.
- Add 1/4 glass of lukewarm water to yeast & 1/2 teaspoon sugar. Allow it to rise.
- Ground the coconut with enough water & keep aside.
- Take 2 cups rice flour in a vessel, add rava & mix well. Add yeast & mix well. Add grounded coconut & mix well. Make sure that the batter is not too loose . It should have a medium consistency. Keep it for 3 hours.
- After 3 hours add 1/2 cup sugar (more sugar can be added if required) & salt & stir well.
- Apply a little ghee/oil in a cake tin & pour the batter into it.Put some raisins on the the top. Steam it for 20 – 25 minutes.