Here's a quick, easy and tasty recipe that you can make for Vishu.
I loved this recipe for it's simplicity and also for it's flavor combination. It has the perfect balance of sweet, spicy and sour flavors. Since we are using dates here, it hardly takes any time to put this together.
This Dates Kalan recipe is special to me since I got it from a paper cutting which my Appa gave to me. Appa collects paper cuttings on different topics that are of interest to me. He arranges it and keeps it safe to give to me when I go home.
I have a whole file of paper cuttings that Appa saved for me!
Anyways, I do hope you give this recipe a try and like it too and hey, I've got a video of this recipe for you.
Happy Vishu to you and your loved ones!
Here is the recipe…
- 6 big (50 gms) Dates (remove the seeds)
- 250 ml Yoghurt, whisked (at room temp)
- 1 tsp Julienned ginger
- 1 Green chilli
- 1 tsp Chilli powder
- 1/4 – 1/2 tsp Turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp Fenugreek seeds
- 1/2 tsp Mustard seeds
- 2 Dry red chilli
- 1/2 cup + 3tbsp Grated coconut
- 10 Whole black peppercorns
- A pinch Cumin seeds
- 2 tsp Coconut oil
- 1 sprig Curry leaves
- Grind together coconut, black peppercorns and cumin seeds with 2-3 tbsp water to a smooth paste. Keep it side.
- Cook together dates, ginger, green chilli, chilli powder, turmeric powder and salt with 1 cup water till dates softens.
- Add the ground paste to cooked dates. Mix it well and let it simmer for 3-4 mins, till the raw smell goes.
- Add the whisked yogurt gradually to the dish, stirring all the time. Once it's incororated, remove from fire.
- Heat oil in a pan and add fenugreek and mustard seeds. Once it crackles, add dry red chilli and curry leaves. Pour it over the uogurt curry. Let it rest for 15 mins before serving with rice.
3 thoughts on “Dates Kalan”
Thank you for the recipe…It came out very well..truly yummy..
Always on the lookout for something different. Gonna try this recipe soon. Will update on how it went. Thanks.
Thanks Anna :) Hope you’ll like it.