Thoran – veg stir fry with coconut, is an integral part of everyday Kerala lunch. Thoran is made with almost any vegetable, here I'm sharing a very basic thoran recipe with easily available vegetables like carrot & beans.
Here is the recipe…
- 250 gms each Carrot & beans
- 1/2 cup Grated coconut
- 4 Green chilly (slit lengthwise)
- 5 Small onion / Pearl onion
- 1 tsp Chopped Garlic
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric powder
- A small pinch Jeera ( optional)
- 1/2 tsp Mustard
- Curry leaves
- Coconut oil
- Cut the beans finely and grate the carrots. Combine coconut,green chilly, small onion, garlic, turmeric powder and jeera. Mix it well using your hands. Heat oil in a pan and splutter mustard seeds. Add curry leaves & the coconut mixture. Fry it for 2-3 minutes (do not make the coconut brown). Add the sliced beans, grated carrots & salt. Combine everything well. Sprinkle around 1 tbsp water & cover and cook it on low flame till its done. This should be ready in 5-10 mins, approx.
Give it a stir once in between, otherwise it may stick to the bottom. You can increase the amount of coconut if you like.