Here is the recipe…
Heat oil in a wide pan. Add the chopped onion and cook till it becomes soft and starts browning. Add chopped ginger, garlic and green chilli. Cook for 2-3 mins or till the raw smell goes…
- 4 medium Onion (finely chopped)
- 3-4 Green chilli (chopped)
- 2.5 tsp Ginger and garlic (finely chopped)
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric powder
- 2 tsp Coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp Fennel powder
- 1 tsp Garam masala
- 1 - 1.5 tsp Pepper powder
- 4.5 - 5 cups Chopped veggies (refer notes)
- 2-3 tbsp Coriander leaves (chopped)
- 4 medium Potato
- 2 cups Bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup Semolina (rava) ( (optional))
- 3-4 tbsp Plain flour
- Curry leaves
- Oil (I used Sunflower oil)
- Boil and mash the potatoes. Let it cool completely.
- Microwave the chopped veggies at 100 % power for 4-5 mins. You can steam it on stove top also, instead of using MW.
- Heat oil in a wide pan. Add the chopped onion and cook till it becomes soft and starts browning. Add chopped ginger, garlic,green chilli and curry leaves. Cook for 2-3 mins or till the raw smell goes. Add all the masala powders and mix well. Cook for another 2-3 mins. Add the cooked veggies and salt, mix well. Add chopped coriander leaves. Combine and continue to cook for 5 more mins on low flame.
- Let the veggie mixture cool completely. Add the mashed potatoes to the veggie mixture and mix well.Make sure there are no lumps. Shape the mixture as per your liking.
- Make a medium thick paste with plain flour and water. Mix together the bread crumbs and rava (if using). Dip the shaped cutlets in this batter & roll in bread crumbs. At this stage the cutlets are ready to freeze. You can store it in a ziplock bag & freeze it for 1-2 months. Keep the frozen cutlets at room temp for 30-45 mins before frying.
- To fry the cutlets, heat oil in a pan on med – high flame. When the oil is really hot (not smoking) add the cutlets & fry it till its golden in colour. Drain on a paper towel & serve hot with tomato ketchup.
I used carrot, beans, cabbage and beetroot for the cutlet. I chopped all the veggies together in food processor. I got around 35 cutlets from the above qty. I added rava to the breadcrumbs for an extra crunch. If you dont mind using eggs, you can make a batter with egg whites and plain flour to coat the cutlets. You may need 2 egg whites for the above qty. I prefer deep frying the cutlets to shallow frying. I always end up with more oil in cutlets when I shallow fry them. Make sure the heat is adjusted well, so that the cutlet doesnt absorb any oil. Set the correct heat level by testing with one or two cutlets in the beginning.