I've posted around 15 + chicken recipes here, but… every single time I'm cooking for guests, I'm confused what to make! Happened to find this chicken curry during one such time and since then, it has become one of my constant companions while entertaining guests. I made this recently and that's when I realised something… I haven't shared it with you yet! I dont know how I missed it, but as I always say “better late than never”.
Also if you are looking for the thick gravy chicken curry types that you usually get in restaurants, give this one a try. I'm sure you will not be disappointed. While typing down the title of the dish, something caught my attention…There are many restaurants whose advertisements focus on the fact that they try to serve homely food and here we, the home cooks want to make restaurant-style curry, isn't that a sort of irony or is grass always greener on the other side ;)?
What I like most about this curry is, it goes well with almost anything and it has that minimum guarantee. It's a pretty basic and simple chicken curry, but the process gives it a whole different look and feel :) Hope you also enjoy it.
Here are the step by step pictures…
Heat oil in a deep pan. Add finely sliced onions and cook till it turns golden brown. Add crushed/grated ginger garlic and cook for 2-3 mins or till the raw smell goes…
Add turmeric, chilli, coriander, fennel, pepper powder and garam masala. Mix well. Cook till the oil appears, around 2-3 mins. Add chopped tomatoes and salt. Mix well…
If you are interested in more Chicken recipes, check out our Chicken ebooklet
- 950 gms Chicken (after cleaning, cut into small-medium size pieces)
- 3 med - large Onion (finely sliced)
- 1 - 1.5 tbsp Crushed / grated ginger and garlic (each)
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric powder
- 2 tsp Chilli powder
- 2.5 tsp Coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp Garam masala
- 1/2 tsp Fennel powder
- 1/2 tsp Pepper powder
- 1 big Tomato (chopped)
- 1.5 cups Medium thick coconut milk
- 1/2 cup Thick coconut milk
- 1/2 tsp Mustard seeds
- 6 Small / Pearl onion (sliced)
- Curry leaves
- Ghee / oil
- Heat oil in a deep pan. Add finely sliced onions and cook till it turns golden brown. Add crushed/grated ginger garlic and cook for 2-3 mins or till the raw smell goes.
- Add turmeric, chilli, coriander, fennel, pepper powder and garam masala. Mix well. Cook till the oil appears, around 2-3 mins. Add chopped tomatoes and salt. Mix well. Cook till the tomatoes becomes soft. Let it cool for sometime.Grind the masala to a smooth paste by adding 1-2 tbsp of water.
- In the same pan, add some more oil and add cleaned chicken pieces. Mix well. Cook till the chicken pieces start changing colour. Add the ground masala. Mix well and make sure the chicken pieces are coated well with the masala and cook for 3-4 mins.
- Add medium thick coconut milk and give a stir. Cover and cook till the chicken is done. Add thick coconut milk and stir. Cook for 5-7 mins. Remove from fire.
- In another pan heat oil/ghee and splutter mustard seeds. Add sliced small onion and curry leaves. Cook till the onions turn golden brown. Add this to the chicken curry and serve hot.