When it comes to soup, I like it to be luscious! I'm not a big fan of clear soups, I kinda feel it's like having flavoured hot water. Unless it's something like a Manchow soup.
So, the weather here is becoming more moody with rains and it's a perfect setting for soup. My go to soup is Tomato soup, but this time I wanna have something different and made this Pumpkin soup.
I'm glad I gave it a try because it was really good, even if I say so myself! Jose isn't a big soup fan, especially veggie ones, so I made it just for myself. However, he wanted to try it since it's a new one and you know what, he kept asking for more…
This is super easy to make and all the ingredients are easily available. It's also vegan, if you are into that. The flavour was spot on. The combination of pumpkin and coconut works really well, garlic gives it a slight punch, the addition of cashews makes it more wholesome and finally the black pepper takes it up a notch and balances out the sweetness.
Here is the recipe…
- 500 gms Yellow Pumpkin (measured before cleaning)
- 1 big Carrot (cubed)
- 1 big Onion (sliced)
- 1.5 – 2 tsp Chopped garlic
- 2-3 tbsp Chopped cashews
- 1.5 -2 cups Medium thick coconut milk (refer notes)
- 1 tbsp Oil (I used olive oil (refer notes))
- Salt & Pepper – to taste
- Remove the outer skin and seeds of the pumpkin and cut into medium size cubes.
- Heat oil in a deep and wide pan. Add sliced onions and chopped garlic. Cook till onion softens, no need to brown.
- Add cubed pumpkins, carrot, chopped cashews salt and pepper. Stir and cook in low flame for 5-7 mins.
- Add 1-1.5 cups coconut milk, bring it to boil. Reduce flame to lowest and cook till pumpkins and carrot are done, around 15-20 mins. (refer notes)
- Let it cool for 10 mins and blend till it becomes smooth. Bring back to the fire and add more coconut milk, if required. Check the seasoning and add more, if required.
- Serve hot with some croutons or toast or salad.