For a change, I knew what I wanted to share with you as Easter special dessert. Panna Cotta has made an appearence in my to do list long time ago. I saw a White Chocolate Panna Cotta recipe eons ago in one of my cooking books, so I wanted to try that. Then, I happened to taste a Vanilla panna cotta with some berries from a friend’s place, so I changed white chocolate to vanilla.
Then, sometime ago I saw Gordon Ramsay making Espresso Panna Cotta in his cookery show, so I changed my plan again. Btw, I think, I watch his cookery show with his family, not for the recipes or cooking tips mainly, but to see a calm version of himself ;) Anyways, let’s get to our recipe.
So I was searching for espresso / coffee panna cotta and then I came across this recipe! Once I saw the title “Salted Caramel” I changed the plan just like that. Did I just contradict myself? Did I tell you, I knew what I wanted to share with you? Well, most of the time, I’m thoroughly clueless about what I want, but somehow it all works out in the end ;) At least this time, I’m sticking to the base plan, I made a panna cotta!
It’s absolutely simple and easy to make this. If you are worried about caramel making process, check out the step by step pictures here (omit the last step of adding warm water, it’s not required for this recipe). Trust me, it’s not complicated. This is one good looking dessert and tastes great too. You can top it with some praline or I tried caramelising some sugar with the blowtorch, that also works well. I do hope you give this dessert a try.
We, Jose and Maria, Wish You and Your loved ones a Blessed Easter! Stay Blessed!
Here is the recipe…
Put the sugar with 1 tbsp water, in a heavy bottomed saucepan and melt it on medium heat until it becomes a dark amber colour. Do not stir, but if lumps start forming swirl the pan around…
Carefully add the warm cream mixture stirring it into the caramel and keep it on the fire (it may solidify at this point, so keep stirring and the caramel will melt again)…
Add the dissolved gelatine and mix well. Add sea salt and mix. Strain the mixture into glasses/moulds. Refrigerate for at least 4 hours (or overnight) before
Recipe adapted from here
Salted Caramel Pannacotta With PralinePrint
- 300 ml Whipping / heavy cream 10 oz. cream / 1 1/4 cup
- 100 ml Milk 3.5 oz. / 1/3 cup + 1 tbsp
- 100 gms Sugar 3.5 oz. / 1/2 cup
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract / essence I used 1 Vanilla bean
- 2 tsp Gelatine powder refer notes if you are using gelatine sheets, refer notes for veg substitute
- 1 pinch Sea salt
- 1/4 cup Sugar
- 1/2 cup Nuts I used walnuts, you can use cashew, almonds, praline, macadamia..
- Dissolve 2 tsp gelatine in 100 ml hot water and keep it aside.
- Microwave milk, cream and vanilla essence / vanilla bean paste for 40 seconds. Give it a stir and microwave again for 30 seconds.
- Put the sugar with 1 tbsp water, in a heavy bottomed saucepan and melt it on medium heat until it becomes a dark amber colour. Do not stir, but if lumps start forming swirl the pan around.
- Carefully add the warm cream mixture stirring it into the caramel and keep it on the fire (it may solidify at this point, so keep stirring and the caramel will melt again).
- Add the dissolved gelatine and mix well. Add sea salt and mix.
- Strain the mixture into glasses/moulds. Refrigerate for at least 4 hours (or overnight) before serving. Sprinkle the praline over the set panna cotta, before serving.
- To make praline:
- Add 1 tbsp water to the sugar and let it melt. Once it becomes a dark amber colour, add chopped nuts. Mix it, so that the nuts are coated with the caramel. Pour the mixture over al.foil or baking paper and let it cool. Once it's cooled, powder it using a rolling pin. Sprinkle it over the set panacotta, before serving.
Gelatine sheets - If you are using gelatine sheets, you will need 3 sheets. Put the gelatine sheets in a bowl filled with cold water for 10 minutes or until soft. Squeeze the excess water from the gelatine sheets and add them to the hot caramel cream. Mix well until completely incorporated.
You can use agar agar or china grass instead of gelatine. Use same qty of gelatine ie 2 tsp china grass powder.
I got 2 big size serving and 4 small size serving from the above qty.