The favorite dessert of the Keralites. You cant stop with just one serving. Learn how to make traditional Kerala dessert made with Parippu (moong dal), coconut milk and jaggery. It's the highlight of sadya (Kerala feast).
Here is the recipe…
- 200 gms Cherupayar Parippu / Moong dal
- 400 gms Jaggery
- 1.5 cups Thick coconut milk
- 4 cups Medium thick coconut milk
- 4 cups Light coconut milk
- 3 tbsp Ghee
- 50 gms each Cashew nut & Coconut pieces
- Fry the parippu without oil for 5-6 minutes. Wash it well & cook with boiled water. Melt the jaggery by adding 1 cup water. Add the melted jaggery to well cooked parippu & stir well. Add 2 tablespoon ghee to this & mix well. Add light coconut milk & when it starts boiling add medium thick coconut milk. When this mix evaporates and becomes half add the thick coconut milk. Stir well for 5 minutes & remove from gas.
- Fry the cashewnuts & coconut pieces in rest of the ghee & add to payasam. Serve hot.
Parippu payasam made by Ammu, based on the above recipe. Thank you so much dear :)