Here goes the recipe:
- 55 gms Walnuts
- 60 gms Caster sugar
- 110 gms Plain flour (sifted )
- 85 gms Cold unsalted butter (cut into pieces)
For the topping
- 30 gms Unsalted butter
- 85 ml Water
- 30 gms Unsweetened cocoa powder
- 100 gms Caster sugar
- 1 tsp Vanilla essence
- 2 Eggs
- Icing sugar - for dusting
- Preheat the oven at 350 F/180 C. Grease the bottom and sides of an 8 inch(20cm) square baking tin. Grind the walnuts with a few tablespoons of the sugar in a food processor or blender. In a bowl, combine the ground walnuts, remaining sugar and flour. With your fingertips, rub in the butter until the mixture resembles coarse breadcrumbs. Alternatively, process all the ingredients in a food processor until the mixture resembles coarse breadcrumbs. Pat the walnut mixture into the bottom of the prepared tin in an even layer. Bake for 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, for the topping, melt the butter with the water. Whisk in the cocoa and sugar. Remove from the heat, stir in the vanilla and salt and let cool for 5 min. Whisk in the eggs until blended. Pour the topping over the crust when baked. Return to the oven and bake until set, about 20 min. Set the tin on a rack to cool. Dust with icing sugar (optional). Store in the refrigerator.
Recipe source: Simple Home Baking by Carole Clements