Do you like getting hair cut? I actually like it. I like the refreshed and new look it gives. It's a feel good thing. Btw, I'm talking about good hair cuts here, not the ones that has gone horribly wrong! Wait a min, you dont think I'm all about outward looks and appearances, do you? I was talking more about the happy feeling you have about a new look, after all a small change here and there can cheer you up sometimes, right?
Ok, I'll tell you about the connection between hair cuts and this recipe. Like a good hair cut, this cake gives you a refreshed feeling. The plain cupcake is light and fresh just like a haircut without any works. The frosted cupcake is like a haircut along with a blow dry ;) I know describing food with the help of haircuts, doesnt make sense. But whenever I have this cupcake, I kinda have the same feeling, is that weird?
Even if whatever I've just said, didnt make any sense to you, please try baking this. You will not be disappointed, it sure is a treat. The chilled version of frosted cupcake is a good dessert option.
Here is the recipe…
Recipe source: Everyday Cookery, Baking Series
Carrot Cupcake With Cream Cheese FrostingPrint Pin
- Refer notes for cup measurement
- 200 gms All purpose flour ( 7 oz)
- 1/2 tsp Ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp Baking powder
- 1 tsp Bicarbonate of soda
- 150 gms Brown sugar (5 oz)
- 200 ml Vegetable oil ( 7 fl oz, I used sunflower oil)
- 3 medium Eggs (@ room temp)
- 225 gms Grated carrots
- 50 gms Chopped walnuts
For the icing
- 175 gms Cream cheese (6 oz, I used Philadelphia cream cheese)
- Finely grated rind of 1 orange (refer notes)
- 1 tbsp Orange juice (refer notes)
- 1 tsp Vanilla essence
- 125 gms Icing sugar ( 4 oz)
- Preheat oven to 175 C, 10 mins before baking. Line the cupcake tin with cupcake liners. (Refer notes if you are baking it as a cake)
- Sift the flour, cinnamon powder, baking powder and bicarbonate of soda together into a large bowl. Stir in the brown sugar and mix together.
- Lightly whisk the oil and eggs together, then gradually stir into the flour and sugar mixture. Stir well. Add the carrots and walnuts. Mix thoroughly, then divide the mixture between the prepared cupcake tin. Bake in the preheated oven for 15- 18 mins or until light and springy to the touch and a skewer inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and allow it to cool in the tin for 5 mins before turning out on to a wire rack. Reserve until cold.
- To make the icing, beat together the cream cheese, orange rind, orange juice and vanilla essence. Sift the icing sugar and stir into cream cheese mixture. Spread the icing on the cupcake, once it's cooled.