I love red meat and given a choice I prefer red meat to chicken. But I think the number of Chicken recipes here is more than the combined number (beef & mutton)of red meat recipes. Looks like, when it comes to non veg, Chicken is the crowd pleaser ;)
Here is another chicken curry recipe that goes well with rice and roti. This chicken curry is packed with flavors and the shallow frying of cooked chicken pieces gives a texture to the curry. Though it goes with plain rice, I recommend serving this with some kind of variety rice.
Hope you get to try this dish and like it too.
Here is the recipe…
- 700 - 800 gms Chicken (measured after cleaning)
- 4 small - medium Onion (sliced)
- 1 - 1.5 tbsp, each Crushed ginger & garlic
- 1.5 tbsp Kashmiri chilli powder
- 2 tsp Coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp Fennel powder
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric powder
- 2 medium - big Tomatoes (sliced)
- 8 - 10 Small / pearl onion (sliced)
- 2 Green chilli, slit lengthwise (optional)
- Curry leaves
- Oil (I used Coconut oil)
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a pressure cooker. Add sliced onion and cook till it browns.
- Add crushed ginger & garlic. Cook for 3-4 mins, till the raw smell goes.
- Add kashmiri chilli powder, coriander powder, turmeric and fennel powder. Cook for 3-4 mins, till the raw smell goes and oil starts appearing. You may add 1-2 tbsp water to bring together the masala.
- Add sliced tomatoes and salt. Cook till it becomes soft.
- Add cleaned chicken pieces and mix well. Make sure the chicken pieces are coated with masala.
- Add 1 1/4 cup water, bring it to boil. Close the cooker and put the weight on. Pressure cook till 1 whistle, on highest flame. Reduce flame to lowest and cook for 5 more mins. Switch off the gas and let pressure drops completely.
- Separate the gravy and chicken pieces. In a deep and wide pan, heat 2 - 3 tbsp oil. Shallow fry the chicken pieces, till it becomes a golden brown color.
- In the same pan (add oil, if required), add sliced small onion, green chilli (if using) and curry leaves. Fry it till it becomes golden.
- Add the gravy to this and cook it for 5-7 mins, till it reduces a bit.
- Add fried chicken pieces to this and mix well. Make sure the chicken pieces are covered with gravy. Cover and cook on lowest flame for 5 mins. Switch off the gas and let the curry rest for half an hr, before serving.