Chicken Do Pyaza, literally translated as Chicken Two Onions! Well, google says…This means that the onions are added twice in the recipe or double the amount of onions are included.
But nothing of that sort is there in this particular recipe. The only thing is, onions are cooked twice. First in raw form and later on, the cooked onions are ground into a paste and cooked.
Anyways, let's come to the flavors and texture. This Chicken Do Pyaza has a thick gravy with amazing flavors. We prefer curries with thick gravies in general, I somehow feel the flavor is more concentrated in such curries. What do you think?
This is quite different from the usual Kerala style chicken curry that I make, so that was a welcome change. It goes well with rice and roti, dosa, appam etc;
Do, give it a try and let me know how you like it?
Chicken Do Pyaza
- 1/2 kg Chicken (measured after cleaning, cut into medium size pieces)
- 2 med -big Onions (sliced)
- 2-2.5 tsp,each Chopped ginger & garlic
- 2 tbsp Yogurt (@ room temp)
- 3 Cardamom
- 3 Cloves
- A small piece Cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp Whole black pepper
- 1/4 tsp Fennel seeds
- 2 tsp Coriander powder
- 1-1.5 tsp Kashmiri chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric powder
- 1 medium Tomato (sliced)
- 1 cup Hot water
- 1 tsp Lemon juice
- 8 Pearl/Small onion (sliced)
- 1/2 -1 tsp Garam masala
- 2 tbsp Oil, divided (I used sunflower oil)
- 1/2 tbsp Ghee
- Marinate chicken pieces with salt and lemon juice for 20 mins.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a wide pan. Add sliced onion, crushed ginger & garlic. Cook till onion caramelises. Remove from pan and let it cool for 15 mins.
- Grind the above with yogurt to a smooth paste.
- Add 1 tbsp oil to the same pan and crushed whole spices (cinnamon, cardamom, cloves, black pepper and fennel seeds). Cook for 2 mins.
- Add ground onion paste and cook for 5 mins on low flame.
- Add turmeric, chilli and coriander powder. Cook for 3-4 mins till raw smell goes.
- Add marinated chicken and cook for 2-3 mins. Add salt and 1 cup hot water. Bring it to boil, reduce flame to lowest. Cover and cook till chicken is almost done.
- Add sliced tomato and cook for another 3-4 mins.
- Heat ghee in a small pan and add sliced pearl onions. When it begins to brown add garam masala. Cook for a min and add to the curry.
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves. Serve with rice or roti.