First post of 2019! I know it’s a bit late, but I promise you that this recipe will make up for it ;)
I considered different recipes as the first post of this year and finally out of nowhere this cake recipe happened! I was thinking something healthy, since everyone is still hanging (or so I think) on to their new year resolutions and I don’t wanna spoil it. Well, since it took me this long to post, I thought I should share something that’s worth the wait.
So, it was our Anniversary last Wednesday and I baked this cake. I wanted a plain but not too plain cake. This one worked out beautifully. It’s a plain cake but at the same time packed with wonderful flavors of lemon and almond. Also, it’s good looking too ;)
Now, about the cake, it’s a very simple and basic recipe. No complicated steps whatsoever… The flavors of lemon and almond pairs really well and the addition of almond flour gives a beautiful texture to the cake. The topping of toasted almonds gives a crunchiness and the lemon syrup keeps the cake wonderfully moist.
I do hope you give this recipe a try and love it like we did.
Recipe from here
Lemon And Almond Cake
For the lemon almond cake:For the cake:
- 1 cup Unsalted butter / 2 sticks / 227 gms (softened)
- 1 cup Sugar
- 3 Eggs (at room temp)
- 2 tbsp Lemon zest
- 1/4 cup Lemon juice
- 1 cup Plain flour / maida
- 1 cup Almond flour (refer notes to see how to make it at home)
- 2 tsp Baking powder
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/4 cup Almonds slices or slivers
For the lemon syrup:
- 1/2 cup Sugar
- 1/4 cup Lemon juice
- Preheat the oven at 180 C, 10 mins before baking. Cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Beat in the eggs, one at a time. Beat after each addition.
- Mix in the lemon juice and zest.
- Mix flours, baking powder and salt.
- Add dry ingredients into wet ingredients.
- Pour into a greased 9 inch baking pan and sprinkle on the almonds before baking in a preheated 350F/180C oven until the top is lightly golden brown and a toothpick pushed into the centre comes out clean, about 25 minutes.
- For the lemon syrup:Simmer the sugar and lemon juice until the sugar has dissolved. Let the cake cool for 20 minutes, puncture it all over the top with a thin knife and pour the lemon syrup over the cake and let it soak in before serving warm.