Here is the recipe…
Combine flour, baking powder and baking soda;Combine butter, rind and sugar in small bowl; beat with electric mixer until light and fluffy…
Add eggs, one at a time, beating well between additions. Mixture will curdle at this point but will come together later…
Using wooden spoon, stir in sifted dry ingredients and milk in two batches, start and end with flour…
stir in juice and nuts…
Spoon mixture into prepared pan and spread the nut topping on the leveled cake. Bake cake for 30 – 40 mins…
Mixed Nuts CakePrint
- 125 gms Unsalted Butter softened
- 1 tsp Finely grated Lemon rind
- 1 1/4 cup Caster sugar 275 gms, refer notes for substitution
- 3 Eggs @ room temp
- 1.5 cup Plain flour
- 1/4 tsp Bicarbonate of soda
- 1 1/4 tsp Baking powder
- 1/2 cup Milk @ room temp
- 1 tbsp Lemon juice
- 2 tbsp Pistachios chopped finely (refer notes)
- 2 tbsp Walnuts chopped finely (refer notes)
- 2 tbsp Almonds skinned chopped finely (refer notes)
- 2 tsp Icing sugar
- 2 tbsp Pistachios chopped coarsely
- 2 tbsp Walnuts chopped coarsely
- 2 tbsp Almonds skinned chopped coarsely
- Preheat oven to 180 C, 10 mins before baking. Line the base and side of deep 22 cm -round cake pan with baking/parchment paper.
- Combine all ingredients for nut topping in a bowl.
- Combine butter, rind and sugar in small bowl; beat with electric mixer until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well between additions. Mixture will curdle at this point but will come together later.
- Using wooden spoon, stir in sifted dry ingredients and milk in two batches, start and end with flour; stir in juice and nuts.
- Spoon mixture into prepared pan, level surface of cake mixture with wet metal spatula. Spread the nut topping on the leveled cake.
- Bake cake for 30 - 40 mins. If the top begins to brown faster, cover the cake loosely with aluminium foil and bake.
- Stand cake in pan 5 mins and the turn onto wire rack; turn top-side up to cool. Dust cake with sifted icing sugar for serving
Nuts were measured whole and then chopped. I used two 6 inch round tin for baking the above qty and I also got 6 std size cupcakes. My cakes were read in 25 - 30 mins and cupcakes took 15-17 mins.
You can mix and match varieties and quantities of nuts to suit your taste. It was a bit too nutty for my taste. If you also prefer a slightly milder version of nuts, you can reduce the qty of nuts topping to 1/2 - 1 tbsp each.
Caster sugar substitution - process 1 cup granulated sugar (regular sugar) in a food processor/mixer until fine, but don’t powder it like icing sugar.
The cake can be stored in an airtight container @ room temp for 2-3 days.