There has to be first time for everything right? Well, this is the first time I’ve cooked something with baby corn. Though I buy it on a regular basis, I usually make stir fry with them. I somehow never thought about making a dish out of it. Looks like I was wrong! They are very well capable of carrying themselves on their own!
Apart from the usual idli/dosa, we hardly eat any veg stuff when we dine out. After trying out this recipe, I’m keen on trying more veg recipes.
This recipe is great as a starter/appetiser or as a side dish for fried rice. It has a nice crunch to it and the flavour is just awesome, if I say so myself ;) I’d say, this dish will brighten up a dull day with it’s look, texture and taste.
Btw, can I please ask a favour from you? As you can see, I try my best to reply to each and every comment posted here. So if you’ve tried any recipe or if you’ve any doubt about any recipe, it would be great if you could use the comment form for the same rather than emailing me. Dont worry, you can post your feedback about the recipe irrespective of whether you like it or not. I publish all the comments, unless it’s vulgar or offending. Many others like you, love to read about the reviews before trying out a recipe and your comments are highly valued. I do hope you understand, thanks :)
Here is the recipe…
Make a medium thick batter with cornflour, plain flour, salt and water…
Dip the whole baby corn in this batter and fry till it turns golden brown…
Cut the fried baby corn into medium size cubes. Keep it aside…
Heat oil in a pan and add chopped onion. When it turns golden brown, add ginger and garlic. Cook for 2-3 mins. Add crushed pepper and crushed red chilli. Stir well…
Add soya sauce and tomato ketchup. Add salt and 2-3 tbsp hot water just to bring everything together. Stir well. Add fried baby corns…
Combine everything. Add the chopped spring onions. Stir and remove from gas…
Recipe adapted from Vanitha Pachakam
Pepper Baby CornPrint
- 20 Baby corn
- 1.5 – 2 tbsp Cornflour
- 1.5 – 2 tbsp Plain flour
- 1 big Onion finely chopped
- 1.5 tsp Grated / crushed ginger and garlic each
- 1/2 tbsp Crushed pepper
- 1 tsp Crushed red chilli
- 1 tbsp Soya sauce
- 1 tbsp Tomato ketchup
- 2-3 tbsp Chopped spring onion
- Make a medium thick batter with cornflour, plain flour, salt and water. Dip the whole baby corn in this batter and fry till it turns golden brown.
- Cut the fried baby corn into medium size cubes. Keep it aside.
- Heat oil in a pan and add chopped onion. When it turns golden brown, add ginger and garlic. Cook for 2-3 mins. Add crushed pepper and crushed red chilli. Stir well. After a min or two, add soya sauce and tomato ketchup. Stir well. Add salt and 2-3 tbsp hot water just to bring everything together. Add fried baby corns and combine everything. Add the chopped spring onions. Stir and remove from gas. Serve hot.
Be careful while adding salt, since we are also using soya sauce. The recipe is a bit spicy, so you can adjust the qty of pepper and red chilli to suit your taste.