Shall we start the new year with a spicy curry? I was actually confused whether to post something sweet or something spicy. Since the last two posts were in the sweets/dessert category I’m going with the spicy one. I hope you’ll also like it.
Btw, are you still in the spirit of new year? I’m sort of… I’m still going around wishing people happy new year :) That reminds me… did I wish you? Anyways, here it is….
Wish you & your loved ones a wonderful & blessed 2012!
About the recipe… I got it from my aunt’s recipe book. Honestly, I dont know whether this is authentic/traditional Chicken Korma recipe. For all I know, it tasted yum! And that is my biggest criteria! In my perception Korma is something which has a thick gravy. In that way, this curry fitted the bill perfectly and the taste was great too. So here goes the recipe…
If you are interested in more Chicken recipes, check out our Chicken ebooklet
- Chicken – ½ kg (cut into med size pieces)
- Cardamom – 3
- Cloves – 3
- Cinnamon – a small piece
- Fennel seeds (perumjeerakam) – ¼ tsp
- Onion – 3 med-big, finely sliced
- Ginger & garlic – 1 tbsp each, crushed/grated
- Chilli powder – 2- 2½ tsp
- Coriander powder – 2½ tsp
- Turmeric powder – ½ tsp
- Pepper powder – ½ – 1 tsp
- Fennel powder – ½ tsp
- Tomato – 1 big, sliced
- Cashew nuts – 6
- Poppy seeds (kashakasha) – 1 tsp (refer notes)
- Grated coconut – 3 tbsp
- Water – 1½ – 2 cups
- Medium thick coconut milk – ½ cup (optional, refer notes)
- Coriander leaves – a handful
- Curry leaves
- Soak the cashews & poppy seeds in 2 tbsp hot water.
- Heat oil & add cardamom, cloves, cinnamon & fennel seeds. Add finely sliced onion & cook till it becomes brown colour. Add crushed ginger & garlic. Cook for a few minutes. Add chilli, coriander, turmeric, fennel & pepper powder. Mix well & cook till the raw smell goes, around 2-3 mins. Add sliced tomatoes & give a stir. Add chicken pieces, salt & curry leaves. Mix well. Make sure the chicken pieces are coated with the masala. Add water & cover & cook.
- Grind the soaked cashews & poppy seeds & coconut with enough water to get a smooth paste. Add this paste to the curry when the chicken is almost done. Mix well. Cook for 3-4 mins. Add coconut milk (if using) & combine well. Cook for 2 more mins. Add chopped coriander leaves & remove from fire.
- Serve with pulao, rice, roti, appam etc;