Ideally I should be making a hot bowl of soup for this climate. Nope its not snowing or raining in Bahrain, but we have a chilled climate, perfect for sipping a warm soup. Moreover both of us Jose & myself are busy sneezing & coughing. Yet I went ahead & made a pudding, that’s how crazy I am ;) It all started with my desire to be a more organised person in the new year. As a first step I wanted to arrange my kitchen cupboards and there I met one of my long lost friend, sitting all alone in a corner ….Milkmaid ;). After exchanging initial greetings, we got into the details. It’s expiry date was a few days ago!! Something had to be done urgently and I started going through my recipe collections and finally landed on this recipe. See, I cant be blamed for making pudding, it’s all for a cause – to be a more organised person. Ahhh… I feel so much relieved now, I’ve passed the blame to resolutions ;)
Now about the recipe, its a pretty basic pudding recipe and as usual its a very simple & easy one. No baking or steaming or fancy ingredients and you wont take more than 20-25 mins for making this (excluding chilling time). If you compare the effort you put in for making this, with the outcome, its worth trying :) and its eggless too.
Here is the recipe:
- For chocolate pudding
- Milk - 2.5 cups
- Sugar - 4 tbsp
- Chocolate chips- ¾ cup (refer notes)
- Cornflour - 4 heaped tbsp
- Vanilla essence - ½ tsp
- For Vanilla sauce
- Milk - 1 cup
- Sugar - 1 tbsp
- Condensed milk (milkmaid) - ½ of a standard size tin
- Cornflour - 4 tsp
- Water - ¼ cup
- Vanilla essence - ½ tsp
- Butter - 50 gms (refer notes)
- Pudding preparation:
- Grease a pudding dish with butter & keep aside. Add 4 tbsp heaped cornflour to ½ cup milk. Mix well without any lumps and keep it aside. Combine remaining 2 cups of milk, 4 tbsp of sugar & ¾ cup of chocolate. Keep stirring & bring this to a boil, reduce the heat and add the cornflour milk mixture to this. Stir continuously till it becomes a thick & pouring consistency. The chocolate should also be melted by now. Remove from fire and add vanilla essence. Mix well. Pour this pudding mixture to the prepared pudding dish. Let it cool to the room temperature. Refrigerate it for 4-5 hours.
- Vanilla sauce preparation:
- Add 4 tsp of cornflour to ¼ cup water & mix well without lumps, keep it aside. Combine 1 cup of milk, 1 tbsp of sugar and ½ tin of condensed milk. Stir well & let it boil. Reduce heat and gradually add the cornflour mixture. Mix & cook till you get the consistency of a sauce. Add vanilla essence & mix well. Remove from fire. Add chopped butter to the sauce & stir till it melts. Cool it to room temperature. Refrigerate and serve with chilled pudding.
Recipe source: Lakshmi Nair, Magic Oven, Kairali TV