Here is the recipe:
- 1 cup Rawa (semolina)
- 1/2 cup Sugar (refer notes)
- 1/4 - 1/2 cup Grated Coconut
- A handful of Cashew nut & Raisins
- 1 tbsp Ghee (refer notes)
- 1/2 tsp Cardamom powder
- Heat ghee in a pan and fry the cashew & raisins. Keep it aside. Add rawa to the same pan & fry it till it starts changing colour, about 3-4 mins. Add sugar & coconut. Mix it well. Fry it till it becomes golden brown colour. Sprinkle the cardamom powder & stir it. Remove from gas & let it cook. Powder the cooled rawa mixture. Add the fried cashews & raisins to this & mix well. Store in an airtight container.
I used a little less than 1/2 cup of sugar. I found that itself a bit sweet. If you dont want it very sweet, adjust the quantity of sugar accordingly. You can always add sugar while having it. I kept it at room temperature for a week. If you want to keep it for a longer time, refrigerate it. Usually this is served with sugar or banana. You can aslo serve it with steamed banana, drizzled with honey.
Check out other Kerala tea time snacks in this blog:
Recipe source: Lakshmi Nair, Magic Oven cookery show