Here you go with the step by step pictures…
Soak the poha in water for a minute and drain well. Add salt and 1 tsp of sugar to poha and mix well. Keep it aside…
- 2 cups Poha (white rice flakes/ vella aval)
- 1 med - large Onion (chopped)
- 2-3 Green chilli (chopped)
- 1/2 cup Green peas (I used frozen)
- 1 medium Potato (cut into small cubes)
- 1/3 cup Coconut (optional)
- 1 tbsp Lemon juice
- 2 tsp Sugar
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric powder
- A small pinch Asafoetida (kayam)
- 1 tbsp Peanuts / cashews (optional)
- 1/2 tsp Mustard seeds
- Curry leaves
- Coriander leaves (for garnishing)
- Soak the poha in water for a minute and drain well. Add salt and 1 tsp of sugar to poha and mix well. Keep it aside.
- Heat oil in a pan and crackle mustard seeds. Add peanuts/cashews and fry for 1-2 mins. Add chopped onion, green chilli and asafoetida . Cook for 2 mins and and add cubed potatoes. Cover and cook till the potatoes are done. Make sure you stir it in between, otherwise it may stick to the bottom. Do not add water to cook potatoes (refer notes).
- Once the potatoes are cooked, add green peas, turmeric powder, salt, lemon juice and 1 tsp sugar. Mix well. Add grated coconut and cook for a min or two.
- Add poha and mix well. Garnish with chopped coriander leaves.
If you are making it for first time, I recommend you make it with coconut, unless you are on a strict diet or so. It's better to cut the potatoes into small cubes, so that it will get cooked faster. Also make sure you do not overcook the potatoes, it should retain the shape.