Here you go with one of the easiest side dish recipe for lunch…
Heat oil in a pan and crackle the mustard seeds and add curry leaves. Add crushed small onion and garlic…
- 200 gms Achinga (long beans )
- 5 Small onion / shallots
- 1/2 - 1 tsp Chopped garlic
- a pinch Mustard seeds
- 1 tsp Chilli powder
- 1/4 - 1/3 cup Coconut bits (thengakothu) (optional)
- 1/4 cup Water - (refer notes)
- Coconut oil
- Curry leaves
- Crush together small onion and garlic. Clean and trim the ends of achinga and cut into 1 inch long pieces.
- Heat oil in a pan and crackle the mustard seeds and add curry leaves. Add crushed small onion and garlic. Fry it for 2-3 mins, till the raw smell goes and onion starts browning. Add chilli powder and salt. Fry for a min or so. Add coconut bits (if using) and mix well. Add achinga and mix well. Sprinkle water and cover and cook for 5-7 mins, till it becomes soft.
Though I've mentioned 1/4 cup water, you can start with 1-2 tbsp water and see. If it's not enough add more water later on. The cooking time can vary from 5-10 mins. Closely watch it after 5 mins of cooking.. Also, I've mentioned coconut bits is optional, but if you like thengakothu, I strongly recommend it.