I fell in love with this Kerala Style Prawns Vazhakka Roast recipe even before I made it. It has two of my fav ingredients – Prawns and Vazhakka (Raw Banana). If you follow my FB and Insta pages, you might have seen my lunch posts. Vazhakka Upperi is a popular item on my lunch menu ;)
Now, coming to this recipe… it’s a typical Kerala style dish, packed with the flavors of kokum, spices and coconut milk. I love the combination of kokum and coconut milk, the tanginess from the kokum finds a perfect balance with the sweetness of the coconut milk.
This is a very good side dish for Rice or even Chapathis. I’m sure, you will also love it. Do try it and let me know.
Btw, if you are interested in seeing my regular cooking pics, please check out the FB and Insta page, just saying ;)
Prawns Vazhakka Roast
- 250 gms Prawns (measured after cleaning)
- 1 small Pacha Kaya (raw banana) (cubed)
- 15 sliced Small / Pearl onion
- 1/2 – 1 tsp, each Chopped ginger & garlic
- 1 tbsp, each Crushed ginger & garlic
- 1 medium – big Tomato (sliced)
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric powder
- 2.5 – 3 tsp Chilli powder
- 1 tsp Coriander powder
- 2 big Kudam puli (kokum) (soaked in 2 tbsp hot water for 10-15 mins)
- 1/2 cup Medium-thick coconut milk
- 1/4 tsp Mustard seeds
- A pinch Fenugreek seeds (4-5)
- 1/2 – 1 tbsp Coconut oil
- Curry leaves
- Heat oil in a pan and crackle mustard and fenugreek seeds. Add chopped ginger & garlic. Cook for 1-2 mins. Add sliced pearl onions and cook till it browns.
- Add crushed ginger & garlic, cook for 3-4 mins.
- Add spice powders (turmeric, chilli, and coriander). Cook for 2-3 mins or till the raw smell goes. Check out Prawns Pollichathu
- Add sliced tomato and salt. Cook till tomato becomes soft.
- Add cubed raw banana, kokum along with the soaked water and 1/2 – 3/4 cup water. Bring to boil. Reduce flame. Cook till raw banana is cooked and water is dried. Check out Prawns Biryani
- Add cleaned prawns, curry leaves and coconut milk. Cook till the prawns are done and the gravy is dried and the prawns and banana are coated well with the masala.
- Check to season and let the curry rest for 10-15 mins, before serving.