Step by step pictures…
Heat oil and add finely chopped onions. When it turns soft, add ginger, garlic, green chilli and salt. Cook for a few mins, till the raw smell goes. Add curry leaves, chopped coriander leaves and cooked chicken. Stir well. Cook on a low flame for a few more mins…
Combine plain flour, atta, salt and lukewarm water to make a soft dough. Roll out gooseberry size of dough…
Spread the filling on a rolled out pathiri, leaving half an inch from both the sides. Place another rolled out pathiri on top of it and seal the edges…
Turn the stuffed pathiri upside down. Lift the bottom pathiri and start folding the edges inside. Repeat this for all the pathiris…
Heat oil for deep frying. Fry the pathiris one by one, till it becomes golden brown…
Dip the fried pathiris in beaten eggs and shallow fry it in a pan. Turn the pathiris in between, so that the egg gets cooked on both sides…
If you are interested in more Chicken recipes, check out our Chicken ebooklet
For the filling
- 300 gms Boneless chicken
- 1 - 1.5 tsp Chilli powder
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric powder
- 4 medium Onion (chopped finely)
- 1 tsp Ginger & garlic (each, chopped finely)
- 2 Green chilli (chopped finely)
- 1-2 tbsp Coriander leaves
- Curry leaves
- 1.5 cup Plain flour
- 1/2 cup Wheat flour
- 1 tbsp Oil
- Lukewarm water
For coating and frying
- 2-3 Eggs
- Oil (for deep frying)
- Cook the cleaned chicken with chilli, turmeric powder and salt. Let it cool. Shred the cooked chicken pieces with your finger. Make sure not to mince it. Chicken filling should have a thread like consistency.
- Heat oil in a pan and add the finely chopped onions. When it becomes soft, add ginger, garlic, green chilli and salt. Continue to cook till the raw smell goes, around 2-3 mins. Add coriander leaves, curry leaves and give a stir. Add the shredded chicken and cook for 5-7 mins on low flame, till everything is combined well.
- Combine plain flour, wheat flour, salt and oil. Add lukewarm water, gradually and make a soft dough similar to that of chapathi dough. Make gooseberry size balls from the dough.
- Roll out each ball into small rounds, just like the pooris. Spread the filling (1-11/2 tbsp) on a rolled out pathiri (roti), leaving half an inch from both the sides. Place another rolled out pathiri on top of this and press together the edges to seal it. Turn the filled pathiri upside down (refer notes for details).
- Lift the bottom pathiri and start folding the edges inside, to make a pleated border. Repeat this process till all pathiris are done.
- Heat oil for deep frying in a pan. Add stuffed pathiris one by one and fry it till it turns golden brown. Fry pathiris on med-high flame (adjust the heat in between)
- Beat the eggs well. Dip the fried pathiris in egg and shallow fry it in a pan. Cook for a few mins, make sure you turn it in between, so that the eggs get cooked on both sides. Serve hot.