Just the other day, we decided to go out for lunch. It looks like a very simple and easy thing to do, but trust me it’s not. Well, the decision to go out is easy, but “where” is a painful question, especially in Bahrain. It’s very rarely that we both agree on a place.
It’s because our priorities for eating out is kinda different and the choices are plenty. For one, Jose wants his food to be served within 10 minutes of ordering and for me, I want to sit down, relax and enjoy the environment. Also, Jose likes his food to be deep fried, covered in cheese and me, well, though I do love such things, I also try to eat healthy. Now you can see why it’s kinda painful to decide the place!
So, the other day, as usual Jose started suggesting some fast food place, saying he was kinda hungry and felt like having a heavy meal. I started beating around the bush, saying I had some snacks so I wanted to eat something light, maybe a juice or salad.
After suggesting some places, Jose finally agreed with my choice of a “salad” spot. I think he was kinda tipsy from low blood sugar or something, because he didn’t have the energy to argue with me. (Let’s say that’s the real reason, rather than him giving in to his lovely wife’s wishes ;)
Anyways, we made it there, and like always he immediately placed his order for some super energy salad. Meanwhile, I played around with the menu, saying I’d have a juice. But when Jose was halfway through his salad I called the server and ordered a “Grilled Cheese Sandwich”!
Jose, who was making an effort to feel upbeat about his salad commenting on how fresh and crisp the leaves were, stopped eating.
For a minute, I was really thankful that the place had limited seating space and it was kinda crowded.
The expression on his face told me that he was more pained than angry by my betrayal. Those who know him knows that it’s not a good idea to mess with him when it comes to food. Knowing this, I wonder why I keep on pushing his buttons every now and then, when it comes to food.
Looks like the HR person in me wants to know whether there is “fire in his belly” when it comes to things that he is passionate about. Apart from that it’s just one of my fav hobbies to push around the buttons just to hear the clicking sound ;)
Well, I made a peace offering by sharing my sandwich with him and also he made me promise to make it up to him for making him eat salad.
This recipe is how I made up to him.
It’s an old post and one of my fav recipes. It’s difficult not to like a chicken mayo sandwich, right? I decided to take it to another level by adding cheese and grilling it. Well, no surprises there. It was really, no…. extremely good. I’m a big fan of cheese and grilled cheese sandwiches. I was feeling a bit indulgent and decided to put two cheese slices per sandwich.
It’s quite filling and definitely indulgent. If you’re not feeling too indulgent, skip the cheese and stick to the basic sandwich recipe. It’s good on its own too. But try it at least once with the grilled cheese, it’s fabulous ;)
Here is the recipe…
Mince together the cooked chicken, onion and green chilli in a food processor or blender…
Add mayonnaise, chopped parsley leaves (if using) and salt to this and mix well. Make it in a paste form…
Butter one side of each slice of bread. Invert the bread slices and place cheese slices on both bread slices…
Apply chicken mayo paste on one of the cheese slices and sandwich with the other…
Melt 1/2 – 1 tbsp butter in a non stick pan and place the sandwich. Cook on low-medium flame for 2-3 min,s till the bottom side is browned, flip and cook for another 2-3 mins or till the cheese is melted…
- 6 slices Bread
- 1 piece Boneless Chicken Breast (cut into cubes (170-200 gms approx))
- 1 small-medium Onion (chopped)
- 2 Green chili (chopped)
- 2-3 tbsp Mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp Chopped Parsley leaves (optional)
- 3-6 slices Cheese (refer notes)
- 2 tsp Tabasco / Hot sauce (optional)
- 2-3 tbsp Butter (for grilling)
- Cook the cleaned chicken with salt and pepper (refer notes).
- Mince together the cooked chicken, onion and green chilli in a food processor or blender. Add mayonnaise, chopped parsley leaves (if using) and salt to this and mix well. Add Tabasco or Hot sauce (if using). Make it in a paste form.
- Butter one side of each slice of bread. Invert the bread slices and place cheese on both bread slices. Apply chicken mayo paste on one of the cheese slices and sandwich with the other bread and cheese slice.
- Melt 1/2 – 1 tbsp butter in a non stick pan and place the sandwich. Cook on low-medium flame for 2-3 min,s till the bottom side is browned, flip and cook for another 2-3 mins or till the cheese is melted.